Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Radiator for 1998 CR-V

Old 07-13-2009, 08:35 AM
larryn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator for 1998 CR-V

Hi, I have discovered a leak in my 98 CR-V radiator. Went to ebay and there are a slew of radiators costing as little as $68.00. I have replaced many radiators over the years and generally had to spend somewhere over $100.00. Does anyone have any experience with these "cheap" radiators? I realize that they are aluminum core and have plastic tanks, but, they sure seem inexpensive. thanks for your input. larry
Old 08-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Carbuff

While you may need to crawl under your V a bit to disconnect hoses and such, I don't think you will be needing a lift.

It's definitely a DIY thing, not too difficult.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:10 AM
trails

looks like a simple job... two brackets and an AC clip and rad hose come off the top, two auto tranny cooling lines (put the clips back on with the clamp part the same direction as it was when taking them off) and a lower rad hose on the bottom... take off the fan plug and pull it out. then put the fan shroud on your new rad and install it.

I'm not sure how much tranny fluid will leak out but you need to refill with honda fluid... there is also a way to refill the antifreeze to get the air pockets out... something about draining the motor and running the engine with heat on.... I would probably do a search for that... not sure if the chevy's are the same but I did a rad on a corsica and didnt get the air pockets out... car overheated and other wierd things....

looks like an easy job though... I will be doing mine on my 97 in a few weeks.. its had a small crack for about 6 months now but its starting to drip.... we only driver it around town so I'm trying to get every last km out of the rad thats in there..lol

cheers
Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 AM
larryn

Replaced the radiator a couple of days ago with one purchased on ebay for around $70.00. It seemed to be decent quality for a replacement radiator. When removing the transmission lines and lower radiator hose, you may find it easier to do with the plastic shroud removed. It takes about 10 minutes or so to get it off as there are a bunch of plastic and metal screws and a metal bar that parallels the front of the vehicle, but its worth it.