Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

99 crv valve cover Question

Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 PM
arkbluj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 crv valve cover Question

Does any one know if you can swap a valve cover off another dohc honda motor that doesnt cover the cam sprockets like the 88-99 acura integra motors
Old 03-01-2008, 07:25 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by arkbluj
Does any one know if you can swap a valve cover off another dohc honda motor that doesnt cover the cam sprockets like the 88-99 acura integra motors
There's a bit of confusion to clear up. All of the Honda B-series valve covers cover the cam gears from the top and down to the centerline of the camshaft... and for good reason.

Unless you've got cam gears that need to be dialed in on a dyno, there's nothing to be gained from exposing the timing belt. I've seen cases where the belt has slipped or been thrown by debris getting caught between the belt and the cam gears.

That said, the B20B & B20Z engines used in your CRV share their valve cover with the B18B1 engine found in 94-01 Integra RS, LS & GS models.

All of these will need to be modified, preferably using circular cuts to expose only the base of the cam gears so that the belt is afforded the greatest amount of protection.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 03-07-2008, 07:11 PM
arkbluj

Ive worked on a 88 Integra that had the black plastic cover that went over the cam gears.When you changed timing belt or water pump you didnt need to remove valve cover,only the plastic covers over cam gears and on the front of the motor.I wasnt sure if I changed my water pump on my CRV if I needed to remove valve cover to do so,thanks
Old 03-07-2008, 08:06 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by arkbluj
Ive worked on a 88 Integra that had the black plastic cover that went over the cam gears.When you changed timing belt or water pump you didnt need to remove valve cover,only the plastic covers over cam gears and on the front of the motor.I wasnt sure if I changed my water pump on my CRV if I needed to remove valve cover to do so,thanks
Short answer is yes, you will have to remove the valve cover to re-install the timing belt after a water pump replacement. Since you're down there, you might as well replace the belt for cheap insurance.

Just to be clear, the '88 Integra was powered by a ZC-series engine, not a B-series. You wouldn't be able to retrofit that valve cover to your CRV's motor.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!