Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

2003 Pilot stumps the dealer!

Old 08-13-2007, 01:34 PM
samisosa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Pilot stumps the dealer!

I have only had this Pilot for about a year. I have had to get the wheels balanced three times so far, and I think it's time for number 4. It started an inconsistent problem that I will try to describe. At first I thought the engine had started missing because I had the gas pedal at a consistent pressure and the engine would lose power and then start up again. My husband chastised me for letting it get too low on gas and put 93 gas in it and it ran better, but not perfect. Normally this car rides very smooth. Right now it feels like you are on a bumpy highway road in dire need of repair when I am on smooth, new asphalt. I took it to the dealer saying it seemed to be randomly missing, and it passed their $100 diagnostic test. It is STILL doing this whole car vibration thing. It does not seem like the wheels because it is not consistent. It's like you drove over a crack in the road that is not there. The last time the dealer gave me grief because they said I had someone else do the brakes because the rotors were warped and they had to be turned. That was JUNE. This is AUGUST. Haven't had the brakes touched yet. Could the transmission be slipping randomly? Their mechanic drove it twice and said it was fine so their salesman gave me the stupid woman skit. Really not happy and ready to trade this piece in for my old CRV!
Old 08-13-2007, 01:59 PM
foot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the symptom occur so randomly that it's possible the technician truly did not experience the symptom? It is also possible that the technician, through miscommunication with the advisor, thought the symptom happens more often or more noticably. Or, the person working on your car just doesn't care. It is also possible that you are completely insane. However, I doubt it.

Cars are so complex I can't even begin to explain. There are countless things that can cause a problem like the one you describe. Failing axle joints can create symptoms like the one you describe but are usually more consistent and create either a clicking when you turn or a nasty vibration while accelerating.

It is also possible that the engine is actually misfiring but not often enough to cause the check engine light to come on.

Faulty egr valves can cause symptoms like the one you describe. When combustion chamber temperatures reach around 2500 degrees F, the Nitrogen in the atmosphere begin to combine with oxygen and create Nox. Nox is bad. To keep Nox down some of the exhaust is let back into the intake in a very controlled manner. When the exhaust gas gets between the fuel and air in the combustion chamber, the burn slows down and temperatures are reduced and keep most of the Nox from forming. When the computer wants exhaust gas to go into the combustion chamber it has to also reduce the amount of fuel going in. If fuel is reduced but exhaust gas isn't getting in, the mixture will be lean and the fuel will burn too fast and "misfire". Usually the computer notices the misfire and sets a dtc. The misfire has to occur often enough, though, or the computer won't illuminate the check engine light and all you'll have is a symptom. If the symptom occurs during checkout, faulty EGR valves can be observed with a scan tool. Fautly Egr valves can also be open when they shouldnt be and cause sluggish behavior, bit more rare though. I am willing to bet the guy drove the car, listened to the radio, called a friend and parked the car and took your money.

I actually think Pilots are pretty good vehicles. Most of their problems are minor. The worst problems I see with them are bad transmissions. But, they aren't common like the Oddessey or Accord.

Last edited by foot; 08-13-2007 at 02:02 PM.