Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

odyssey vent windows inoperative

Old 08-05-2007, 06:52 PM
HondaHelpTW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odyssey vent windows inoperative

Hello. I have an 04 odyssey that I just bought. The pass and driver power vent windows won't open. They make a click sound in the back of the van (pass and driver side) when the switches next to the driver are used. At first the pass would barely move to open then would close, but never fully opened. I helped it to open fully, then it stuck open. Had to wrench it closed. Now it does not move at all. The driver side never moved.
I pulled the fuses and they are ok. I get the clicking sound even with the fuses out (strange).
Some internet sites mention a regulator and I did see a couple of electronic boxes under the plastic trim (near the vent window motors) that seem to be making the clicking sound.

I need help diagnosing this problem before I buy parts (motors?) and hope they will fix the problem.
Thanks!
Old 08-06-2007, 09:08 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to get to the window motors. There are 2 wires going to them one wire will have 12v going open the other 12v closing. If you have 12v on both wire you have a bad window motor aka regulator. If you have no voltage you need to back track the wires you may have a bad switch,open wires,blow fuses(probably not),shorted wires or possibly a bad micu (body computer).
Old 08-06-2007, 10:07 AM
foot

The clicking you hear is from the vent motor relays. There are two per side. One is an open relay, one is a close relay. I have replaced alot of these motors, which is strange because they really don't get used much.

I perform a voltage drop at the motor. If you have a 12 volt drop, replace the motors.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:33 AM
HondaHelpTW

Thanks for the helpful responses.
I checked the voltage and all 4 (right/left, open/close) showed 12V when the switch by the driver was pushed.
Local Honda dealer had a right and left motor assembly in stock. The parts came easy to reinstall. They were already attached to the mounting bracket. 3 bolts to the body, snap the ball into the socket on the vent window, plug in the connector and they are working fine!

To remove them, I took the screw out under the hook about half way up the side of the rear door, popped the snaps along the top half of the side of the rear door and along the connection between the pillar cover and the side cargo area cover, then jockeyed the pillar cover until it came loose. Once the pillar cover was out, the driver side was easy to get to. The passenger side motor was under the rear AC vent and had to pull the duct away from the fan outlet. I got to the right side vent motor mounting bolts by moving the duct from side to side and reaching around the duct. I had to be very careful to avoid dropping bolts that would have been a pain to recover.

I did notice some oil on the mounting bracket (between the motor and the mounting bracket). Maybe loss of lubrication is why the units are failing. I hope Honda has addressed that reliability problem with the new motors.

I did have a tough time getting the plastic covers (over the vent window motors) re-installed. They are in, but the connections to the other plastic panels did not fit as well as before they came out. I ended up with a 1/8 inch gap between the pillar cover and the panel below the vent window (by the rear seat). Same gap between the pillar cover and the panel below it in the cargo area.
Any advice on how to get the plastic panels to fit better?