Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

2000 CR-V clunk (again)

Old 05-05-2007, 03:38 AM
m735is

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 CR-V clunk (again)

I figured I start a new thread on an old problem. I've replaced the front sway bar end links twice in the last two years, they do seem tight. But the clunk is back. The UCA was replaced recently and that solved the second round of clunks. It's back and it's driving me crazy. I cannot find anything loose in the front end. The clunk sounds like it's coming from the front left (new UCA side). It happens on most bumps, even small ones, when going straight, turning and even when slow speed braking. Would CV joints cause this type of noise? Sometimes there's a high pitched metallic clink which sounds like it's from the center or rear. This lead me to check the rear diff mount. There's some up and down movement from that, but I haven't gotten an answer on wheather or not it's normal.
Things checked:
front:
endlinks-seem fine, but will replace with OEM ones this time
sway bushings-recent OEM
UCA and ball joints upper and lower (recent left OEM upper)
tie rods (recent OEM)
shock mounts upper and lower
LCA bushings (starting to crack but seem fine)
CV axles-they don't click when driving, but have some play-I never know how much play is acceptable??
springs-starting to rust not cracked
shocks not leaking
engine mounts seem fine
rear:
end links-some play and I will be doing these
diff mount-upward play normal??
all mounts, bushings and CV's seem fine-except RTA bushings (usual cracking starting)
springs fine
shocks-not leaking
Driveshaft or center bearing shows no play

I just may have to take this to a shop- ANYTHING I'm overlooking?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 AM
sleezye

There Is A Service Bulletin On The 99's About Replacing The Front Upper Control Arm Bolts Might Be Worth A Try Not Expensive Here Is The Part Number For The Bolts 90172-s04-003 U Will Need 4 Two Per Side Torque Them To 54 Ft-lbs I Would Give Them A Try Since U Have Already Replaced A Bunch Of Things
Old 05-09-2007, 04:56 AM
m735is

What does the bulletin say? What's the reason for the new bolt? Is there a different bolt or do they just add loctite or something?? Thanks for the torque value, I'll check mine.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:52 PM
headknocker

The clunk on my '98 V returned several days ago( I replaced the endlinks a year ago) and it was clearly on the passenger's side. I checked it out yesterday and found one of the nuts on the endlink had worked its way loose. I hunkered it down pretty good and I made sure to do the same to the other three nuts. The clunk is gone...AGAIN!
Old 06-01-2007, 02:21 AM
m735is

I forgot to update this. Same damn thing. It was only a hair loose, but that fixed it for me too.

Now my driveshaft is clinking, the rear ujoint is almost snapped, looking for a cheap used one.