Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

MDX Touring Rims on Pilot?

Old 09-30-2002, 07:42 AM
earl20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MDX Touring Rims on Pilot?

Anyone out there experiment with the 17x6.5 touring rims from the MDX on the Pilot? I'm interetsed in handling/ride quality changes. Does anyone know for sure if the MDX rims will fit the Pilot? Thanks!

Earl
2003 Nighthawk Black EXL NAV on order
Old 09-30-2002, 12:08 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The size change from 16" to 17" is really NOT going to help you in handling very much.

P235/70 R16 104S
P235/65 R17 103T

Those are the two different sizes. The MDX's tires will give a slightly more sportier ride. But c'mon bro, if you wanted handling the Pilot is not the way to go. And wheel size is not gonna help. If you want better handling and comfort while sacrificing some off roading ability, put on some SUV sports tires. They make the biggest difference. if you wanna go the extra mile, you can install aftermarket shocks, struts, sway bars, and the such...they will improve handling but decrease ride comfort. It is a 1 way street in every area except tires, which may help handling and comfort. My Potenza S-03's on my RSX-S have AMAZINGLY better handling but are also more comfortable.

The MDX rims will fit the Pilot, but are really not worth it IMO. Unless you think they look a thousand dollars better or you can get em for dirt cheap.

Any more questions on how to change the ride/quality of the Pilot, let me know.

Chris
Old 09-30-2002, 07:12 PM
earl20

Thanks for the reply Chris. Is there a specific SUV sport tire you'd recommend? FYI I do have a chance to buy the MDX touring rims with the MDX stock Goodyears for a very cheap price...I like the way they look and my dealer is willing to give me a credit for the stock 16 inch whels when I take delivery. I'm not looking to make a major investment here improve the handling, look and rubber.

Earl
Old 10-01-2002, 12:16 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by earl20
Thanks for the reply Chris. Is there a specific SUV sport tire you'd recommend? FYI I do have a chance to buy the MDX touring rims with the MDX stock Goodyears for a very cheap price...I like the way they look and my dealer is willing to give me a credit for the stock 16 inch whels when I take delivery. I'm not looking to make a major investment here improve the handling, look and rubber.

Earl
Sure Earl. I have no experience in SUV Sport Tires. Tirerack.com is the best place you can go for that kind of info. Your best bet is to email them and ask them what they recommend for all seasonal sports tires or summer sports tires for SUV's. How much are you looking to buy the MDX rims for after credit? Your messed up your last sentence...what are you looking to improve? And what is more important to you, ride or handling? The stock MDX tires suck, they have huge sidewalls and are a hard rubber compound. I would have to believe that buying better tires would help alot, but since it's a Pilot probably not by a lot. If you really wanna improve handling, buy stiffer springs and shocks. The problem is, it's a tall SUV with high ground clearance.

If you just wanna know how the MDX rims/tires will affect ride/handling, I can tell you it won't have a big effect in either. It will most likely give it better handling and a slightly better ride judging from the size of the tires. Are you really looking to improve in those areas or would you be happy just having the MDX's wheels?

Chris
Old 10-03-2002, 05:17 PM
earl20

Just an FYI, my dealer told me that putting the MDX wheels on the Pilot would void the Honda warranty. Anyone else hear this?
Old 10-04-2002, 11:33 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally posted by earl20
Just an FYI, my dealer told me that putting the MDX wheels on the Pilot would void the Honda warranty. Anyone else hear this?
That's absolute bullshit. It may void the warranty on the wheels but that is it. Don't listen to him. Maybe you wanna go to a new dealer. The only thing that can void a warranty is a part that deliberately causes another part to go wrong. Such as modifying your engine heavily with turbos and the such then having it go. But putting a different exhaust on won't void your warranty if your power windows stop working.
Old 10-21-2002, 05:55 PM
mininsx

Dealers are so stupid, I would have left laughing and never gone back if someone told me that...