Notices
Minivan, SUV, & Truck RDX, Ridgeline, Element, Pilot, MDX, CRV, Passport, Odyssey, and SLX.

Honda-brand ignition parts only? Rip-off?

Old 12-22-2005, 08:23 AM
oldscoutmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honda-brand ignition parts only? Rip-off?

I've never posted in honda-acura.net, but I've used the forums extensively during the past 11 months since I bought my 2000 CRV. Typically I see the same questions asked over and over again, and you guys do a great job of being very patient with the ones you answer. Thanks!

I don't know the history of my CRV, so I've been replacing many things that might possibly have been neglected during its 105K life-to-date. Among other items, I replaced the plugs and wires 8 months/15K miles ago. When my MIL went on 3 weeks ago, I replaced rotor and dist cap, and re-replaced the wires (1 tip corroded). Reset the MIL but it went back on.

Knowing that CRV was due for valve adjustment, went to my dealer in case there was an issue with the valves receding into the head and I needed to argue about this known problem (Bulletin 03-038). Dealer told me that yes, the valves needed adjusted, but also that they needed to replace my Champion Dbl Platinum plugs (because they don't burn as hot has Honda plugs), PLUS the brand new wires, rotor and dist cap because they are not Honda brand! They could not offer any proof that these parts were the problem, but they wouldn't accept that the parts were working, either.

Other posts have validated that Honda-brand fluids need to be used; is this the same case with electrical/electronics?

Thanks - a Frustrated CRV (and Pilot) Owner
Old 12-26-2005, 06:01 PM
m735is

I have Bosch regular platinums and a Wells cap and rotor installed on my 00 CRV. No problems for about 50,000 miles. I think their BSing you.

What did the code tell you was wrong? Hopefully it wasn't just the gas cap being loose, that happens sometimes to the wife.

I don't even want to know about the valve problem!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:32 AM
VPUPPY

Did the MIL go off after the visit to the dealer? That stuff really should not matter. As a rule of thumb I usually buy Bosch and stay away from champion. Those plugs are crap...I have had one snap in half while still in the head on another car. The only thing I can see causing problems is the plug wires in that setup you had.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:46 AM
oldscoutmaster

Thanks for both replies!

I had definitely checked the gas cap and had ruled that out. The codes indicated misfires on cyl 1, 3, & 4. Engine sounded as if it was running smooth, with no banging at all. The dealer said (and this part I believe) that the valves were out of spec and needed adjustment. But no damage, thankfully.

After the dealer visit, the MIL has remained off. Guess it wasn't my plug wires after all! I think I'll go back to my trusty garage mechanic and stay clear of this dealer. I learned a $230 lesson.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:42 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by oldscoutmaster

After the dealer visit, the MIL has remained off. Guess it wasn't my plug wires after all! I think I'll go back to my trusty garage mechanic and stay clear of this dealer. I learned a $230 lesson.
Hmmm...

Dealer service departments use the factory parts because they are a known quantity. You can't blame them, can you? Yeah, I know it costs the consumer more money.

I'm unclear what lesson you learned for $230. Did you allow the dealer to install the Honda-brand parts? Or did you decline and the MIL has stayed out???

(I gotta say, I usually spend the extra $$ on Honda parts after poor experiences with aftermarket stuff...the same stuff (usually NAPA) that works OK on American cars just doesn't seem up to Honda standards! )

:crazyr:
Old 01-07-2006, 01:09 PM
99audyssey

Default Dealer is full of dookie

It's up to them to prove that the phone charger you plug into your cigarette lighter is the cause of your muffler falling off. Do you get my point?

First of all, saying one plug is hotter than another is such a pile of bullshit! What does that mean? And how do they know? Did they test your plug vs the "honda" plug? And if they did what were the results? What did they measure? If they measured something what is the operational criteria? What is the range? etc.... etc... etc... Bottome line - your plugs and wiring is just fine. It's up to Honda to prove (and I mean PROVE) that whatever modification you did is causing a warranty problem. Honda dealer service people and mechanics are not that much smarter than you or I. Don't be duped. If it smells like shit it probably is shit.

And to carbuff who wrote Honda parts are a "know quantity"... What the hell does that mean? Do you know something we don't? No you don't sir. You're just another wannebe expert.

Some Honda parts are better quality than aftermarket and the opposite is also very much true. Don't listen to one-liners here. Use common sense.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:54 PM
VPUPPY

Originally Posted by 99audyssey
It's up to them to prove that the phone charger you plug into your cigarette lighter is the cause of your muffler falling off. Do you get my point?

First of all, saying one plug is hotter than another is such a pile of bullshit! What does that mean? And how do they know? Did they test your plug vs the "honda" plug? And if they did what were the results? What did they measure? If they measured something what is the operational criteria? What is the range? etc.... etc... etc... Bottome line - your plugs and wiring is just fine. It's up to Honda to prove (and I mean PROVE) that whatever modification you did is causing a warranty problem. Honda dealer service people and mechanics are not that much smarter than you or I. Don't be duped. If it smells like shit it probably is shit.

And to carbuff who wrote Honda parts are a "know quantity"... What the hell does that mean? Do you know something we don't? No you don't sir. You're just another wannebe expert.

Some Honda parts are better quality than aftermarket and the opposite is also very much true. Don't listen to one-liners here. Use common sense.

DO SOME RESEARCH!!!!!! Spark plugs have different heat ranges. Also, "known quality" means they know that their parts come from a good manufacturing process and are less prone to failure. In other words, if they put in their parts they know they are made to good specs and they don't need to worry about problems coming from these parts.

For info on spark plugs: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/techinf...000&country=US

Last edited by VPUPPY; 01-07-2006 at 01:56 PM.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by 99audyssey

OK, without flaming back at you,

A manufacturer's part can USUALLY be counted on to work a certain way, good, bad, or indifferent. Without a familiar part in there, a mechanic doesn't know whether it's causing a problem or something else is. So, the guys put in their own favorite brands before moving on to a second-level solution. That's human nature, not just a Honda dealer trait.

I agree that all Honda parts are not perfect. Years ago they used Fram-sourced oil filters that caused problems, and it would seem that they are doing it again. I guess the bean-counters are winning the wars in 2006.

I've worked on cars for 35 years, and owned Honda cars for 25 years now, and I think their parts are more likely to work well than aftermarket, as a rule. Are they more expensive? Yes.

BTW I'm not being paid by Honda to say that!

Atwell Haines
'06 CR-V
'99 Acura TL
Not an expert in anything (just ask my wife)
NJ