Notices

92' Legend with many probs?? Need HELP!!!!

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 PM
dragonking94

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92' Legend with many probs?? Need HELP!!!!

I just bought a 92' Legend off my uncle for $600, with 195k miles. Not a bad price for the car from what I have read about the car.
But the car has some problems, and I am not all that michanically inclined.
First off, the speedometer doesn't work and the D4 light flashes, most of the time, but everyonce in a while the flashing stops and the speedometer works?? Second, the car is just now starting to overheat, and I have steam coming out from the spill tank, from what I can tell the radiator is full and there is still plenty of water in the spill tank?? Third, it revs up and down when first started, but will stop after driven for a couple of mins.?? And forth, the A/C nor heater works, well at lest it will not blow air through the vents, when I press the buttons it sounds like something is happening, but still no air coming through the vents??
I really like the car, and I would love to fix it up to, at least, original finish. So any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Oh and one more thing, the radio doesn't work, shows up with CODE on the screen,, anyway of finding the code without having to take it to the dealer?

Last edited by dragonking94; 11-14-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: had to add one more thing
Old 11-19-2007, 09:54 PM
ari_one

1. The speedometer and D4 light flashing is most likely a defective VSS, there are kits available on eBay to fix that.
2. If you have air coming out of the overflow tank then most likely you have a blown head gasket which is an expensive repair. Many people go with a replacement JDM engine instead.
3. These legends are well known for blowing head gaskets, when you get air in the cooling system it will cause more overheating, idling problems, and no heat because there is air by the thermostat and it will not open. FIRST thing to do is bleed the air out of the cooling system.
4. If you are not getting any air coming out of the vents then most likely your blower motor has given up and needs to be replaced. Used ones can be found on eBay and they go for between 50 - 75 plus shipping. The radio code should be in the owners manual, if you don't have that then the only alternative I'm aware of is to call the dealer and see if they will give it to you (some will give it others will charge for it).

For a lot more info, you can also visit www.acura-legend.com which has a lot more Legend specific info and users.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:10 AM
dragonking94

thanks for the info ari_one
Old 11-25-2007, 09:58 AM
dragonking94

Ok, working on my car still, getting some of the problems fixed. But I have a new prob. that I cant figure out. I just replaced the blower motor for the heater,, but there is no heat coming through the vents just cold air. What could be the prob., and how do I fix it?
Old 12-25-2007, 10:38 AM
ari_one

There are two heater hoses going from the engine to the heater core. Check to verify that both are hot, if not then hot water is not getting through your heater core. Heater core could be plugged or your thermostat is not opening to let hot water exit the engine and enter the heater core.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:22 AM
psychobabble

I agree with ARI ONE my sons 93 legend was having problems with the heat system the same as you and when I tore the motor down I found a crack in the head gasket, but I bought a re man motor and replaced it,it cured the reving problem and the wierd overheating problem, as far as the speedo and 4th gear indicator flashing it will be the vss,already been there and replaced that,and as far as your stereo goes in your service manual their as a card which will give you disabler code to re set your stereo. Im a retired mechanic.