Notices

Help need with '92 Legend - weird idling - temp.gage

Old 04-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Legend_1992

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help need with '92 Legend - weird idling - temp.gage

Hello,
thank you in advance for your help.
I have a 1992 Acura Legend with 145K. Last year the head gasket was replaced and this year I put in a new radiator and a thermostat.
There are several problems I am having with the car:

1) the temperature gage goes up to the 3/4 market and then the thermostat opens and the gage comes down to the middle, but then goes up the same level and down. And keeps doing that all the time.
One thing that I have noticed is that the fans do not start, could that possibly be the reason?

2) When I start it, it idles funny. When the car is in Park, The RPMs keep jumping up and down, within the 1K and 2K marks. When I put it in gear, it is fine. Now, once the car is well warmed up, and the temp. gage goes up and comes down as described above, it starts idling normally at under 1K.

Thank You for all your suggestions. It would be helpful if you could also refer me to some other sites or sources that would be help.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
w001472

Could be radiator has not been bled properly.

\
Originally Posted by Legend_1992
Hello,
I have a 1992 Acura Legend with 145K. Last year the head gasket was replaced and this year I put in a new radiator and a thermostat.
There are several problems I am having with the car:

1) the temperature gage goes up to the 3/4 market and then the thermostat opens and the gage comes down to the middle, but then goes up the same level and down. And keeps doing that all the time.
One thing that I have noticed is that the fans do not start, could that possibly be the reason?

2) When I start it, it idles funny. When the car is in Park, The RPMs keep jumping up and down, within the 1K and 2K marks. When I put it in gear, it is fine. Now, once the car is well warmed up, and the temp. gage goes up and comes down as described above, it starts idling normally at under 1K.

Thank You for all your suggestions. It would be helpful if you could also refer me to some other sites or sources that would be help.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:29 PM
ari_one

As noted by w001472 you need to make sure you have bled the cooling system correctly. Legends blow head gaskets really easy and one of the main causes is incorrectly bleeding the cooling system. There is a really good chance you have air in the system.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
RadiatorBleeding.doc (138.0 KB, 8 views)