Notices

Vibration after timing belt change

Old 03-04-2007, 03:55 PM
bobcov

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration after timing belt change

Hi, all
So far I'm pleased because the shop I'm working with has been very straightforward about the problem of vibration which developed immediately after they changed the timing belt. I brought it back the next day and they said that one of the counterbalance belts was off by one notch.
I picked up the car after hours expecting theproblem to be solved, but it is not. When idling, the car shakes subtly. Not like a washing machine out of balance, but like a car which never shook at idle prior to the timing belt change.
When accelerating, the car shudders. It doesn't shutter as noticeably as before the first fix, but it shudders as if the road is rough. Past a certain speed, it's not noticeable and it stops immediately if you let off of the gas.
Tomorrow, I have to back to them. This will be the third visit. The first was to get the work done, the second to correct the flaw and now another correction.
Is there any risk of permanent damage from the counterbalance system not operating correctly?

-Bob
Old 03-04-2007, 06:14 PM
simplyredvw

No risk of permanent damage from having the countershaft timing off for a little while. I assume this is a 3.5 RL.
Old 04-07-2007, 11:23 AM
bobcov

Default Virbration finally resolved

Originally Posted by simplyredvw
No risk of permanent damage from having the countershaft timing off for a little while. I assume this is a 3.5 RL.
It took three visits, but the problem was resolved after they carefully went back over the procedure for re-assembly and discovered a missed step. They stood behind their work and followed through.

-Bob