Notices

92 Legend Overheating Problem

Old 01-15-2006, 01:10 AM
Househedz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Legend Overheating Problem

Hi Folks,

Hopefully someone out there can help.

I have a '92 Legend which is overheating in and odd way. Firstly what would happen is that the temperature would rise well above normal with no hot air comeing out the heater at and then suddenly drop to near normal at which point hot air would fill the car.

Last night I had a lot of steam ande the temperature rising to well into the red and then the guage would go up and down like a yo yo with plenty of steam coming out from under the radiator cap but no heat in the car even after a 20 mile drive. In addition the engine became very lumpy on tick over.

In addition, the other night when I started it, and again yesterday morning, from cold and left to idol, the engine would oscillate rev wise at will.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there a link between the temperature sender unit and the engine management system which ultimately controls the tick over of the engine? Is it possible that the thermostat has stuck closed or does it sound more serious like the water pump has gone?

Cheers!
Old 01-15-2006, 06:27 AM
HallKemar

the reason why your car revs is simple, weather. my vigor does the same thing.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:02 PM
VPUPPY

Sounds like a stuck thermostat. Most likely its not letting the coolant flow through the heater core. As for the oscillating revs, fix the thermostat first and see if it stops. If not, you may have an issue with the fast idle thermo valve. Before you go fixing the thermostat, check out all your coolant hoses.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:27 PM
ACURAmechanic

Your engine is "air locking" due to a blown headgasket. What happens is the combustion pressure is higher than the coolant pressure and subsequently the combustion gas (air) leaks into the cooling system causing the coolant to stop flowing untill the air bubble is pushed into the radiator. When your engine is cold check your coolant level in the radiator and resivoir, it is probably low in the rad and over full in the res, also the idle will usually surge. Those are tell tale symptoms of a blown head gasket on a 2nd gen legend or 1st gen RL.

It
Old 02-23-2006, 07:06 PM
nightrider00R

blown headgasket. the hot air not coming out is because air pockets in the system due to the loss of pressure. that's going to be an expensive repair. might as well a new motor.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:32 PM
dbglover
me+acura=broke

not too costly. you can repair it yourself for a couple hundred bucks if the heads and vlock are in good shape and nothing else is wrong.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 PM
bnguyen

hi i have the same problem here also with my 1995 legend and it is over filling the rev tank and overheating. i am new to this legend thing but a big fan for this car. i need some help on this one...so is the head gasket bad or the vlock? anyone got a picture of a vlock or what it locks like? Can you just repair the vlock and it will be fine becuase there is no oil leaking so couldnt be the head gaskets. please email me some idea's that would be great! lvn_seattle @ Yahoo.com
Old 10-17-2006, 12:33 PM
t3t4delsol

if you open you oil cap do you see blowby? meaning do you see a white milky substance on the oil cap, if yes then check you oil level and see if the same substance is on there too, white smoke out the tailpipe?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:08 PM
bnguyen

nope none of the above
Old 10-17-2006, 01:18 PM
t3t4delsol

if you get no heat change your thermostat, if your not holding the pressure in your system and see steam venting from the sides of your rad cap replace the cap