Notices

Please Help...my acura died in the middle of the road

Old 05-14-2011, 10:32 AM
acurachick1978

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help...my acura died in the middle of the road

Hello everyone...I am a newbie to a forums so please be easy on me. I have a 1987 Acura Integra LS that has had modifications done to the injectors, exhaust manifold and suspension. Well last night i was driving and the motor just quit, no strange noises nothing just quit and now it will turn over like always and sound as if it wants to start but never does. I am at a total loss here and everywhere i have searched online for answers hasnt been to much help. There has also been a kill switch installed because people were stealing them, well the motor sounds just like it does when that is on but it wasnt when this happened...Please if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:13 PM
guitarswheelies

Well, not that I'm an expert on this, but my '95 Integra died a few times . I think the forum here is slanted more towards the high performance freaks that find this kind of question boring.

There are a few things that can croak to kill your ride like that. For an engine to run you need and engine that can use the crankshaft to turn the camshaft along with spark at the right time and fuel.

Timing belt-when it breaks your car shuts of immediately . If you are lucky you didn't screw up the valves but I don't know that engine. Your car will still make some compression when turning it over so you might have to take off the valve cover to see if its broken.

Coil-when it opens or is out of spec or partially shorting your car won't start or may shut off when it gets hots. There is a simple test you can do with an ohmeter to determine if the coil is good.

Ignitor-mine is OK but I replaced it before I found the bad coil. If the ignitor is bad the car won't start.

Fuel pump relay-if this is bad your fuel pump won't run or it will shut off when the relay gets hot.There are a series of clicks you can hear when you rotate the key before you engage the starter. After one of these clicks the fuel pump should run briefly and then shut off after another click. When your car starts and has oil pressure the relay turns on the fuel pump again.

You can do a few tests to see if some of this stuff is working. Test for spark and fuel pressure. Crank the engine with one of the spark leads off and very close to a ground. Alternatively you can use a spark tester. No spark or weak spark and your car won't run.

You can test for fuel pressure on the side of the road by unscrewing or loosening the little bolt in the fuel filter assembly and seeing if fuel comes flying out when you engage the key. This can be very dangerous if you car engine is hot and do this at your own risk. In a shop they would stick a gauge on there to see if there was pressure.

Another idea is that your kill switch is doing its job and then some

Last edited by guitarswheelies; 05-15-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 PM
acurachick1978

thank you so so so much for all of the information. I spent most of the day yesterday troubleshooting this thing. I checked the fuel pump wires and had no power from the wireharness that plugs into the fuel pump, so i ran a jumper wire just to make sure and the pump still works.

pmf-fi----i checked this relay and it tested bad so i replaced it and the car still will not start

it has to be something electric. i believe it is the coil or igniter, and the kill switch is wired into the coil, but thats for tommorow.....lol.......Thank you again for the information it is a huge help..