Notices

RPM Spikes Intermittently 88 Integra

Old 12-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Sw8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Spikes Intermittently 88 Integra

Hi, guys.

My 1988 Integra RPM needle is spiking upward about 200-300 rpm randomly. Google search seems to id bad ignitor in distributor as likely culpret but wanted to submit additional data to see if anyone here has any suggestions.

Car has 227k miles and this just started happening today. No "check engine" light; no sound of engine missing; no jerking (as in bad fuel filter). At first thought is was bad gas but did it again on next fillup. Most of the time rpm needle is steady but then it starts again. Was going 70 mph @3400 rpm and after a couple of hours on the road it started doing this for about 10 minutes then it stopped. Stopped to refuel then drove another 200 miles without spiking then started again for about 5 minutes. a/c off; does this on cruise and at lower speeds/rpm.

Have reached destination on road trip and trying to decide if this is worth visit to local honda service or if it can wait until I drive it 550 miles to my trusted mechanic.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2010, 05:45 PM
cruzalekz

thats not a lot.

try cleaning your throttle body specially where the air bypass hole where the air bypassses around the throttle plate.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Sw8

Thanks, cruzalekz.

Decided to assume that this was likely related to the rpm needle or cable and, therefore, didn't take it to honda dealership at destination. The above problem occurred only once on return trip with no serious issues following event. Given the car is 23 years old I try to be proactive in addressing problems, especially on rare road trips. Will post solution if/when it becomes a bigger problem.