Notices

96 B18B1 Build up. . .

Old 07-25-2010, 10:22 PM
ReaperOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 B18B1 Build up. . .

okay here is the deal. . . Thought my original engine was shot, but really wasnt. . . I want to build it up for turbo, nothing big, just between 300 to 400Hp:run:. . . It is completely stock right now(sitting on my engine stand), thinking of a T4 turbo, also thinking Ls-Vtec. . . really want to build it up to type R specs without the Vtec and Turbo it:x:. . .would like options on how to get er dun. . . let me know what I need to replace and I want it still to be street legal, so C.A.R.B. legal where it matters. . . All insight will be greatly appreciated. . . .:bowdown:
Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Spec R

san diego PD and smog have seen it all. the only way you'll legally be turbo'd is if you have Greddy install their turbo kit on your car. I believe they were the only ones able to get an OBDII CARB legal turbo kit out. Guess what, it wont be intercooled or have a BOV either.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:30 AM
ReaperOne

A buddy told me that I can use a turbo from a car like the Audi a4, that comes stock with turbo, so it will pass smog and as long as my internals are C.A.R.B., then the referee should deem it street legal. . . what are your thoughts on a setup like this? ? ? seems like it would work as the only reason greddy turbos are street legal is that they are not adjustable to gain more power. . .
Old 07-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Lynxs1981

The only issue with that is it came stock on an Audi, not an integra. I don't think they will pass you.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:04 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

edelbrock also had a carb legal turbo kit that did have an intercooler and bov. but you wont come near your hp goals with either the greddy or edelbrock kits.

passing the sniffer part of a smog test probably wont be an issue with a turbo as long as the tune is very very mild. it's the visual you'll fail as soon as you open the hood if there's no carb numbers present on the components.

Last edited by Snoopy; 07-27-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 PM
ReaperOne

Okay, so what can I do to get the Hp I want as far as internals so that the turbo will finish the job. If I build to Type R specs, that should give me 200hp(that is what the Type R is stock right), plus the extra from the beefed up internals, maybe up to 225 or 230, then the turbo would just have to get me another 70hp. . . and as long as I get all C.A.R.B. legal parts a ref should be able to clear it ? ? ?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

no turbo parts are carb legal so you're screwed there. what do you mean build to type r specs exactly?
Old 07-27-2010, 07:46 PM
ReaperOne

well basically change the internals to match that of the type R, but without the V-tec or in other words, upgrade what i can to gain the same HP,compression and torque as the Type R. . .
Old 07-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

to make the same hp as an itr (195bhp, ~170whp for usdm itr's) without going vtec is going to cost a grip and more than likely cause you to fail smog regardless. if being carb legal is so much of a concern for you just get either of the two turbo kits mentioned earlier and be happy. you'll still make decent power without having to upgrade internals.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 PM
ReaperOne

I checked on the turbo kits and they seem to be for the GSR, will that still work on the Ls head? ? ? I was also thinking of going Ls Vtec turbo, would I be okay with a b18c head on my b18b block with one of the turbo kits that are street legal? ? ? is it really that noticeable when you go ls-v (I mean visual, lots of people are saying that you cannot pass smog due to the visual inspection, but if the b18c and b18b block are similar, than how will someone be able to tell that the b18c head doesnt go on the b18b block?) if so, how would this set up sound? ? ?

B18b head,
Crower stage 2 camshafts(was told I could use the stock retainers),
Skunk 2 retainer springs,
AEM Cam gears,
Aftermarket aluminum pulley.

Had this setup, but camshafts and springs went missing so have the gears and pully on my b18b that Im currently running in my sedan.

if i build my other b18b1 head the same way, and leave the block stock and get the edelbrock turbo kit, u think i could get away with that setup and pass smog? ? ? or u think I will need to build up the block as well? ? ? also my car is automatic, would getting a GSR automatic tranny give me more HP? ? ?