Notices

Cant Stop the Vibration!!! AAARRGGG!!!

Old 07-06-2010, 04:47 PM
joe_kewl81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cant Stop the Vibration!!! AAARRGGG!!!

So I've recently neared completion (meaning there's always more to do) Of my 91 integra build and I've been nothing but disappointed. I recently installed new lowering springs, struts, and a front passenger wheel bearing. There's been a vibration from the front pass wheel since day one and just been getting worse. Naturally I replaced the wheel bearing and rotated my tires. I had determined it was the wheel bearing from past experiences and the noise it made when I made left hand turns. In the past the bearing always fixed the problem. Now my shake seems the same or worse, and the noise still seems to be present. I do still intend to replace the upper control arm and ball joint assy since i had to do it to the other side just to get the car on the road. Ive also double checked the tightness of my bolts, and im beginning to assume my drive shaft is off balance from being too hard on it. It is new, well a lil over a year old, but its oem and i beat the crap out of it. Wondering if ne one has any insight before i change my driveshaft....
Old 07-08-2010, 07:44 PM
joe_kewl81

Replaced the control arm/ball joint assy and installed new front pads and rotors...(actually I was only able to replace the pass rotor, the damn screws stripped so now I have to drill and tap) and put a different wheel up front to see what would happen. Part of the shake is gone, so I assume I had a problem with one of my front brakes being a bit locked up on a bad rotor and the crummy ball joint wasnt helping. I still seem to have that "bad wheel bearing" hum when I make left turns and the wheel feels like its bouncing on a bad strut. Strut and spring both brand new. I can usually feel it around 2000 rpms, turning or going straight, but mostly notice it around 4000 then it subsides a bit. I took a closer look at the shaft (jacked it up and put it in gear) and it visually appeared "not perfect". Not only that but the cv boot closest to the engine on the DRIVER side looks "stretched?" The boot appears as though the drive shaft is stretching to reach the wheel? Maybe both shafts are bad?
Looking forward to any ideas...
Old 07-12-2010, 07:09 PM
Spec R

do your axles have the rubber doughnuts on them?

maybe its your tires/wheels?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 PM
joe_kewl81

Originally Posted by Spec R
do your axles have the rubber doughnuts on them?

maybe its your tires/wheels?
no...no donuts, I have seen them before though, can't remember which car...
these are also the same half-shafts from when I flipped my car...only flipped once landed on the wheels.
I have been strongly considering the wheels and tires too...I'm sure they are all crap, in fact I know one is, that's why it stays in the back.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Spec R

vibration can be from axles, wheels, and tires or all of the above. start from there...it cant hurt :dunno:
Old 07-14-2010, 05:54 PM
joe_kewl81

Originally Posted by Spec R
vibration can be from axles, wheels, and tires or all of the above. start from there...it cant hurt :dunno:
Will being hard on the axles cause them to go out of balance quickly?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Spec R

what do you mean specifically being hard on the axles? you cant single them out individually. i mean if you're launching and doing burnouts all day, yeah your axles take a beating, but so does everything else thats connected to them (trans, engine mounts, suspension, tires, etc)
Old 07-29-2010, 11:25 AM
joe_kewl81

so ill have to admit i had a similar problem with my other integra...i recently put on a set of alloy rims on the front that i had balanced when i get the new tires put on, one was damaged beyond repair so i just put the 2 on the front. rides alot better bet the vibration is still there. I know the outer tire rod ends are bad but what about the inners? Ive never replaced them before and i think i should do inner outer and get align...
Old 08-17-2010, 12:07 PM
gsr converters

we had a problem just like you and it turned out to be a bent axle.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:59 AM
cruzalekz

axles too since you mentioned noise is apparent specially when turning. check tie rod end play too