Notices

Want to mod my GS-R. Other questions, etc.

Old 06-18-2002, 01:21 PM
h00nter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to mod my GS-R. Other questions, etc.

I bought a 1995 Integra GS-R in February, and I haven't had any money to put into it (aside from tint and sound system) until now. I was just wondering what some opinions on what I should do first with engine modifications. I'm not really good with this stuff so help me out.

Also, I was just wondering what the effects of not changing your oil for a prolonged period of time are. Like I said above, I haven't had any money to put into my car (this includes oil changes), so I've just been pushing my baby to the limits until now (Yes, I finally changed my oil.)

My car hasn't been professionally serviced since I bought it at 51k miles. Now it's at 62k miles. I was just wondering what I should pay attention to (ie, worn parts, belts, fluids, etc) in the meantime.

Also, I've read a lot about f*d up a-pipes, heat shields, etc on GS-Rs. My car used to make a loud whirring/buzzing/humming sounds at 3-3.5k rpm from the time i got it 51k miles till about 59k miles. Now the sound is almost unnoticable, but still, what should I do? Is the heat shield the metal "sandwhich" that surrounds the exhaust pipe near the oil pan, or is it the metal plate that is a little further down the exhaust pipe that appears to be shielding the cabin from heat? Is it safe to just flat-out remove this?

Thanks.
Old 06-18-2002, 09:52 PM
reech-around
RIP Woong.

your owner's manual has all of the recommended maintenance intervals listed. oil is the lifeblood of your motor, ALWAYS change it, charge the stuff on your credit card if you have to.

here's some stuff i'd pay attention to in the immediate future:

new plugs and wires, and check timing
fuel filter
air filter
distributor cap and rotor
valve adjustment (every 15k miles)
tranny fluid
coolant
new belts aren't needed til around 90k miles.

best way to get rid of the a-pipe rattle is to get an aftermarket header. you'll save money over a stock one and you'll gain a few HP.

other problems many GS-R's have are springs popping out of the clutch disk, leaking clutch cylinders, leaking radiators (where the aluminum meets the plastic endtanks), and leaky cam seals near the distributor side. my 95 also eats through brake rotors pretty fast, and i needed to replace the brake master cylinder at 80k. some little stuff that bugs people are broken antenna masts, rattling hatches, and clunking noises from the rear suspension.

i'm not a big fan of engine modifications on GS-R's unless you open up the motor or go with forced induction. from experience, the typical I/H/E is not cost effective and will make more noise than power. on the other hand, suspension modifications and a good set of tires will make a world of difference.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:00 AM
ViperX182

Rich: If you do not suggest modding GS-R's then what integra's do you mod other than a type-R??