Notices

Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners

Old 11-03-2002, 06:00 PM
pomansouth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

but boost all of the time is different then boost. I think turbos are more reliable and your engine will last longer if you are turboed because you dont stress or boost your motor all of the time. just my 2 cents
Old 11-03-2002, 08:06 PM
crash

what about the turbo set-up detonating?
Old 11-03-2002, 11:59 PM
SlprTeg

a vortech can be an excellent setup. The blower is huge tho, its designed for v6/v8's. Its like strapping on a 60-1 T4 n your d15. However, if you get pullies and stuff, and bring it up to 15+ psi, its pretty efficient.
Old 11-04-2002, 02:54 AM
newgsrdriver

Here you go...

The Vortech is a nice kit, but its powerband is similar to a turbo with more lag and less potential. You know that already, Im just repeating it, b/c to me, thats all you need to see.

You CAN run impressive times with a properly tuned 10PSI+ Vortech setup. There is a guy on ClubSi I believe running 12.8's maybe on 13psi? It is a reliable system, but for the price and results, you still should go turbo.

The JRSC hasnt come close to reaching its potential. New pulleys are being developed/tested. New, easier ways to safely increase boost are being tried. Intercoolers are showing up here and there. There is all sorts of new information all the time about JRSC's...the potential is WAY from reached.

With a decision like this, you cant be upset that you spend $1k on a Comptech setup. Youre going to spend a LOT of money with these setups. Things break. Tuning is expensive. Installation of parts is expensive if you cant do it yourself. You can easily break even or even come out on top. For example, I can sell my Comptech TIG used for what it will cost me to pick up a Kamikaze AND Carsound. Another few bucks on custom 2.5+ piping...big deal. If youre worried that much about a bit of cash on the mods you bought already...definitely dont mess with FI.

And boost is boost. There is no "more stress on your motor" crap. Its equally stressful, but if you take the time and money to do it right, you'll be fine.

There is no reason to go Vortech at this point, IMO. You will work and spend your ASS off just to justify not getting a turbo kit, when in actuality, a turbo kit is the route you shouldve taken when looking into that kind of power.

It sounds to me like maybe FI isnt the route for you. You dont want to change your oil frequently and use a TT, so turbo is out. Your car is a daily driver, so IMO, Vortech is out. JRSC sounds right to me to be honest. Most people who sell their JRSC buy it for the wrong reasons in the first place. They should put a label on it saying "If you want to go PSSSSH and scare stunnaz with yo' tight FMIC, buy a turbo kit!"

Also, how can you be worried about losing $ with the Comptech, then plan on getting a $1500 EMS system down the road? Vortech is $4k, EMS is $1500, install and various parts...youre looking at well above $6k. And youre worried about losing a couple hundred on your I/H/E??? Like I said man, maybe FI isnt for you

Heatsoak isnt an issue with either blower. Ive only experience the aftercooled Vortech units, but either way you'll be fine. I still think you want a JRSC from your description.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:22 AM
qtiger

Psst... EMS = $1100.

But I agree with Nick. Your best options may be JRSC or NA.
Old 11-04-2002, 08:02 AM
Shingoblade-GSR
Hellsing Agency

Hey,

Thanks for the replies guys. I still haven't met a single vortech integra owner, online or in person, which strikes me as very, very odd.

One thing I DID overlook was the size of the vortech turbine. And thanks to the dual flames coming from both my vortech posts on HAN and H-T h: , I would feel rather unwise for buying the vortech at this point.

I think I'm going to have to wait a bit longer to decide what to do with mah ryde. I may just dump some money into suspension/LSD and move up to DSP in auto-x.

I didn't realize a JRSC had an aftercooler/intercooler of any type....

Since I seem to have gathered the attention of HAN's finest, I'll go ahead and post a somewhat related question. Let's say I have a JRSC tuned @ 9psi. What would be the effect of changing out the stock cams for a CTR intake and ITR exhaust cam? I've heard highly varying arguments regarding cams + F/I.

Shingo
Old 11-04-2002, 08:05 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by Shingoblade-GSR
Since I seem to have gathered the attention of HAN's finest, I'll go ahead and post a somewhat related question. Let's say I have a JRSC tuned @ 9psi. What would be the effect of changing out the stock cams for a CTR intake and ITR exhaust cam? I've heard highly varying arguments regarding cams + F/I.
Crappy.

Overlap + supercharger = bad.

Overlap + turbo = OK.

BTW, water injection is an option on the JRSC.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:12 AM
SlprTeg

Originally posted by qtiger
Crappy.

Overlap + supercharger = bad.

Overlap + turbo = OK.

BTW, water injection is an option on the JRSC.
Overlap on the vortech shouldnt eb any worse than overlap on a turbo. If boost leaks, the charger just has to flow more air. And a v8 blower on a 1.8L should have lots of flow to sacrafice.
Old 11-04-2002, 10:53 AM
qtiger

Originally posted by SlprTeg
Overlap on the vortech shouldnt eb any worse than overlap on a turbo. If boost leaks, the charger just has to flow more air. And a v8 blower on a 1.8L should have lots of flow to sacrafice.
It takes energy from the crank to provide that power.
Old 11-04-2002, 12:06 PM
SlprTeg

Originally posted by qtiger
It takes energy from the crank to provide that power.
Do you think the exhaust gas is free energy for a turbo?

Quick Reply: Attn: Vortech Supercharger Owners