Notices

Coolant Pumps Into Overflow Tank But Not Back Into Radiator.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
naluakamai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got the head gasket replaced which fixed everything. No more losing coolant, no more soot in the cooling system, no more engine misfire at start up (which caused the check engine light to come on). The spark plugs needed to be replaced due to rust. I also replaced the timing belt, water pump, drive belts and put in new plug wires too. All for a price of $805. Not bad considering one mechanic wanted $900 just for the head gasket replacement. My Integra now has 206k miles and still gets 33 mpg in combined driving. Not bad for a 12 year old beater eh? Oh yeah, and my stock 'teg beat a late 80's Camaro RS on the freeway the other day .

Last edited by naluakamai; 08-18-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:27 PM
Spec R

Originally Posted by naluakamai
I finally got the head gasket replaced which fixed everything. No more losing coolant, no more soot in the cooling system, no more engine misfire at start up (which caused the check engine light to come on). The spark plugs needed to be replaced due to rust. I also replaced the timing belt, water pump, drive belts and put in new plug wires too. All for a price of $805. Not bad considering one mechanic wanted $900 just for the head gasket replacement. My Integra now has 206k miles and still gets 33 mpg in combined driving. Not bad for a 12 year old beater eh? Oh yeah, and my stock 'teg beat a late 80's Camaro RS on the freeway the other day .

freeway racing :nono: plus i hate to break it to you, beating a late 80's camaro rs isnt much to be proud of. well, any street racing you do you shouldnt be proud of h:

glad you're happy with your car though.

33mpg combined? do you live in an area with no hills and no traffic?
Old 08-21-2008, 07:16 PM
naluakamai

Yeah I know about Camaros. I used to own an 89 IROC with the G92 option. Torquey engine but not much on the high end. I guess I ought clarify. I didn't really race the dude, I just wanted to get by him. Right lane speed in the left lane is a little ridulous (and illegal where I live) on a freeway so I pass him on his right. I guess the kid didn't like that so he hits the accelerator so I kept on until I got past him. I don't "race" anywhere, although I used to race the IROC in SCCA F Stock events back in the day. For your edification, I don't condone street racing. I normally just leave it on cruise control and let the car sip fuel (hence my 33 mpg average).

I commute about 70 miles round trip. It's all flat and I rarely hit rush hour traffic because I work odd hours. I have a 5 speed manual with rather short stock gearing. I think with a taller final drive ratio, I could get a lot better mpg. I'm not into acceleration as much as saving gas.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
Spec R

cool, at least you're honest about how you get your 33 mpg.

most interweb retards deny it and claim they get 40mpg regardless of their driving style
Old 08-21-2008, 07:57 PM
naluakamai

I know what you mean. I see "40 mpg" and say wtf? I keep my car tuned, drive like an egg is under my foot, and the best I can muster is 33 mpg!