Notices

Coolant Pumps Into Overflow Tank But Not Back Into Radiator.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:57 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't forget the intake stroke this would suck coolant in but ya it possible for coolant to flow only one way. Take off your cap and see if you get a lot of bubbles.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 PM
naluakamai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The radiator cap has "1.1" stamped into it. I assume that this is a 1.1 bar cap. It is a replacement cap but it is not OEM. The cap goes on and off easily, about as easy as the stock cap. I know the cap allows coolant to flow into the reservoir so at least that part of the cap is working. It's not flowing out of the reservoir and into the radiator. I'll check for bubbles.

Last edited by naluakamai; 07-26-2007 at 04:14 PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Lynxs1981

Sounds like you might have the wrong pressure cap.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:20 AM
Lynxs1981

Disregard my last post. I misread that you had the 1.1 cap. That is the correct cap.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:16 PM
qtiger

Originally Posted by naluakamai
Could a leak flow one way (into the radiator), and not the other (into the cylinder)?
From what I've seen with headgaskets, anything is possible. Usually they fail in ways that make sense, but sometimes you get strange results or a headgasket that only leaks under certain conditions (common on boosted cars). However, if your car held 15 lbs of pressure without bubbling the coolant... headgasket problems seem unlikely. I wouldn't 100% rule it out, but I'd look elsewhere.

However, this seems like an annoying but harmless problem. You said a mechanic is doing things, you're not throwing a bunch of money at this are you?
Old 08-14-2007, 06:05 AM
naluakamai

Sorry I took so long to reply a post. The pressure check was on the cooling system. I still have not done a compression test. However, I finally checked the cooling system running the engine from a cold start with the radiator cap off. I can see a steady stream of fine bubbles percolating in the coolant. I have not put any money into troubleshooting this problem, except for replacing the radiator cap (which needed replacing anyway). I have a strong suspicion it's the head gasket, which means I will be out more than a few bucks. I keep adding about a pint of water everyday just to keep the radiator topped off. Other than that, the engine runs fine. I am just going to keep doing this until I know what the problem is for certain. I'll submit posts as new events occur. Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:56 AM
naluakamai

My cooling system was still overflowing out of the reservoir tank and I figured there was one thing that I could do before exploring the possibility of a leaky head gasket. I thought I would replace the thermostat, which would cost me about $10 and some time. Ever since I put in the new thermostat a couple of days ago, my cooling system seems to be stable now. No leaking, and no temperature fluctuations (the engine temp used to drop considerably especially during coasting). I thought the thermostat needed replacing when it stopped the flow of coolant, causing the engine to overheat. Apparently when the stock thermostat failed, it stayed stuck open allowing the engine to run below normal temperatures. I guess I should have paid more attention to my temperature gauge to know where the needle was during normal operation. Now the needle stays in the same place and doesn't hardly move at all.

As far as seeing the bubbles in the system, I figure that might have been residual air in the system. Other than that I can't explain it. Once I put the new thermostat in, I checked for bubbles again and there were none.

Anyway, everything seems fine so far. Thanks again for all the advice. Hopefully this will help someone else someday.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:11 PM
F22B Prelude
Rachel Bilson

I had the same problem until I replaced my radiator cap
Old 11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Spec R

i had a similar problem too, but i'm unclear as to why an open thermostat would affect the fluid not wanting to go back into the radiator from the overflow tank.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:21 PM
naluakamai

What was causing your problem? I am also curious as to why a faulty thermostat would keep the cooling system pressurized , which is why the coolant would not flow back into the radiator. Every time I opened the radiator cap, it was like opening a pop bottle. I wonder if Honda has a service bulletin on this...