Notices

Tranny is Good, or is it?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:17 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny is Good, or is it?

so next month I'm finally planning on installing the syncros on my tranny, so i thought it was the syncros but now don't know. last night i went to my mechanic to get an oil change. after driving back home i felt like pushing it a lil since this was the first time in almost a month i got back into it,knowing that if i go over 4K it will grind. so I'm in 2nd and rev it up to 4-5K and shift into 3rd gear and then guess what happened, nothing. so i do it again and still no grinding. at first i thought it might be cause the car was cold and needed to heat up as usual until it starts to grind. well i drove it for over an hour, and literally shifted into 3rd at 7K and still nothing. so can someone please tell me whats going on, cause this happened before and came right back again. is it the Syncros or could it be the Master Cylinder, i don't want to pay my mechanic $600 knowing that it might not be the Syncros at all.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:50 PM
2001TEGGSR

Did you change your tranny fluid at all?

Try checking your clutch master cylinder, and adjusting the pedal.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:28 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

Originally Posted by 2001TEGGSR
Did you change your tranny fluid at all?

Try checking your clutch master cylinder, and adjusting the pedal.
tranny fluid been changed 3 months ago and the problem didn't go away. the CMC seems fine, fluid is OK and no leaks. don't know about adjusting the pedal, never done that before and not sure how much it would cost.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by DaGip
tranny fluid been changed 3 months ago and the problem didn't go away. the CMC seems fine, fluid is OK and no leaks. don't know about adjusting the pedal, never done that before and not sure how much it would cost.
It isn't that hard. You have a modified car, you should be able to work on it yourself.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:50 AM
GSRRacer95
Fight On!

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
You have a modified car, you should be able to work on it yourself.
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 01-21-2007, 03:59 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
It isn't that hard. You have a modified car, you should be able to work on it yourself.

thanks man, ill try it out as soon as i have some free time.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:45 PM
MC-14
Tri-man

How long have you had the clutch? Do you feel good pressure at the clutch pedal? Any leaks at the clutch slave cylinder? You should not have to adjust the pedal height, because it is a hydraulic system. If no leaks, just have the system bleeded just in case. If the problem still persists you may have to have your mechanic take the tranny apart. In addition, if the sychros were bad you can see metal flakes in the gear oil when you drain it.
Old 01-21-2007, 06:25 PM
DaGip
4N2Ner

Originally Posted by MC-14
How long have you had the clutch? Do you feel good pressure at the clutch pedal? Any leaks at the clutch slave cylinder? You should not have to adjust the pedal height, because it is a hydraulic system. If no leaks, just have the system bleeded just in case. If the problem still persists you may have to have your mechanic take the tranny apart. In addition, if the sychros were bad you can see metal flakes in the gear oil when you drain it.

the entire motor and tranny have roughly 25K miles.

are you sure about the metal flakes thing, cause my old gear oil didn't have any metal flakes in it, plus i have not been able to get to it but I'm missing a bolt that goes up on the shift linkage. not the bushing but the two washer type bolts that go on both sides. one of them is missing. i have no idea who's fault it was but this is what caused my entire linkage to pop out when i went to my 1st 1/4 run. i had to push the car to the finish line, and all we did was pop it back into place. Ive never looked into it until 2 week's ago when my mechanic told me. pressure is very smooth when it comes to the clutch. do you think it might be this bolt missing on the shift linkage.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM
MC-14
Tri-man

No, I don't think it has to do with the bolt missing. There is no possible way it can find its way inside the transmission case. It probably just flew out somewhere. The flakes should be pretty fine, almost like metallic or pearls used in automotive paint. You really have to look closely to see it. Just drive it until it acts up again and repost.