Notices

Question about Performance with car.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:18 PM
BKKloppenborg
Love my Acura

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Performance with car.

Hey guys I want to do a FEW things to my car So far Nice rims, Sport Guadges, (Soon) and (Now so far) got Some nice headlights also Clear turn signal lights. (goes good with my silver car.) Performance, a nice Exhaust system, Cold air intake, Mabye headers? Then thats it.

Questions what are good brands of Exhaust systems that will pass Cali smogs (Hp gain about 3-6?) Cold air intake (3-6)? Would headers be overkill?

Next thing i am going are looking for next are Some nice performance spark plugs (Heard NGK good, What is difference between Iridium Vs. Platinum?

I want some good performing spark plugs and wires?

Heard Bosch Sucks, any other spark wires or Spark plugs you guys suggest

So with all these mods about 15-25 HP Gain and little better acceleration?

Will someone PLEASE Explain Cold air intakes to me? I am so confused so you loose power in some areas, but gain in others if so what is the point?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:26 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

if you want to pass cali smog stick with an aem intake, dc 4-1 header, and exhaust of your choice. something quiet is the rsr exmag or apexi ws.

stick with oem everything for the ignition. no gains whatsoever from upgrading the ignition.

you're lucky to see 5-10whp from i/h/e

the power gains/losses in the powerband from a cai are nothing to fuss over. it's not a whole lot anyway.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:28 PM
FooD2000
Still Water

because you live in la mesa (me to), I will allow you to aim me and i will show you the ways.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:12 PM
BKKloppenborg
Love my Acura

What are better spark plugs? and Spark plug wires? HKS or NGK?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:20 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

preference...i like NGK IX iridium tip spark plugs personally...though most spark/ignition upgrades are minimal on most cars they can help to prevent future problems..you have boost and detonate...you'll wish you upgraded the ignition/spark system
Old 11-23-2006, 07:35 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Mugenfreak
preference...i like NGK IX iridium tip spark plugs personally...though most spark/ignition upgrades are minimal on most cars they can help to prevent future problems..you have boost and detonate...you'll wish you upgraded the ignition/spark system
Ignition upgrades are completely unnecessary. There are plenty of guys running 500+ whp on stock ignition. If you have a problem with detonation, look at the tuner, not the ignition system. MSD stuff is junk and the source of many ignition problems for these high-hp guys.

I prefer NGK copper plugs. Iridium plugs have been known to have the little super-hard tip of iridium melt off into the combustion chamber and cause some real problems. Copper plugs will yield the best spark but they have a short lifetime.
Old 11-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Mugenfreak
Boost Hungry!

the potential failure is there regardless of upgrading or not...personally if i replace something why not with something a little better...but thats me...agreed on the tuner part fo sure
Old 11-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by Mugenfreak
the potential failure is there regardless of upgrading or not...personally if i replace something why not with something a little better...but thats me...agreed on the tuner part fo sure
Unless you are going to shell out an assload of money to run a distributor-less ignition, there is nothing better than the OEM honda ignition.

To me, it is a moot point because I have seen a couple 700+ whp dyno graphs/setups on honda-tech running stock ignition with absolutely no problems or hiccups in the powerband. I am not saying it would be reliable at all since it would burn through rotors and coils like crazy...with that kind of power, one should run coil packs.

Here is an example of 728whp, stock ignition.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:58 PM
BKKloppenborg
Love my Acura

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
Ignition upgrades are completely unnecessary. There are plenty of guys running 500+ whp on stock ignition. If you have a problem with detonation, look at the tuner, not the ignition system. MSD stuff is junk and the source of many ignition problems for these high-hp guys.

I prefer NGK copper plugs. Iridium plugs have been known to have the little super-hard tip of iridium melt off into the combustion chamber and cause some real problems. Copper plugs will yield the best spark but they have a short lifetime.
I dont care about Ignition i just want some good performance spark plugs and wires. My engine runs a little rough at stops...
Old 11-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Snoopy
been there done that

Originally Posted by BKKloppenborg
I dont care about Ignition i just want some good performance spark plugs and wires. My engine runs a little rough at stops...
then replace it with new oem wires and plugs. you'll be spending $200+ dollars on those wires and plugs that dont perform any better than oem.