Notices

Bench Bleeding the Clutch Master Cylinder?

Old 04-26-2006, 12:28 PM
UpStateGS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bench Bleeding the Clutch Master Cylinder?

Has anyone ever bench bleed their clutch master cylinder? I picked a new one up but the instructions only show a brake master cylinder and using a small flat head screw driver.

Will bleeding the clutch via the slave cylinder after everything is installed perform the same result? I'm looking to get this installed within the next hour or so.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:07 PM
jaymar88
HA.net Workout Krew

To bench bleed, mount the cyl, screw in the bleeder nipple onto the output, run a hose from there back to the resivoir, fill and pump... the fluid will recirc and the bubbles will escape.

Yes.. just like bench bleeding a brake cyl.
Old 04-26-2006, 01:22 PM
UpStateGS

Thanks.. it did not come with a bleeder valve so I rigged one up and will give it a shot.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:04 PM
UpStateGS

I installed the clutch master cylinder and successfully bench bled it (I think). Everything seemed fine so I bled the entire clutch system via the slave cylinder until no more bubbles were coming out (used about 1 1/2 bottles of new Honda fluid).

Everything works great with the exception of about 1/2" if initial clutch freeplay. It occurs before there is any pressure what-so-ever and it's been about 6 months since I've driven the car so I can't remember how it was prior. Any idea if that is normal? Aside from that everything works, engages and shifts as if new.

Is there an easy method to reduce the approximate 1/2" of clutch free play on a 97 Integra.

Thanks.

Last edited by UpStateGS; 04-26-2006 at 05:49 PM.