Notices

time for a brake job...

Old 01-24-2006, 02:57 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default time for a brake job...

So I'm pretty sure I'm in dire need of a front end brake job. I had my car checked out at Car-X and they said I need to get new rotors, pads, and a front passenger side caliper (i think mine is starting to wear out.). So anyway, I want to do the brake job myself. I don't really need high performance parts but I also don't want to get the bottom of the barrel crap either. What suggestions do you guys have for the best bang for the buck brake setup and where's the cheapest place to get them? I really don't want to spend a whole lot. Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, I found this site which seems to have a pretty good deal on some brembo blanks...can anybody vouch for the site or tell me if those aren't really brembos? thanks...
Old 01-24-2006, 03:04 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

brembo blanks can be bought pretty much anywhere... tirerack.com, groupbuycenter.com, ebay, etc etc...

I think my Axxis Ultimate pads are great for DD/autocross duty. I got them pretty cheap from a vendor called raceconcepts.net. I don't know if they're still around though.

For the caliper, NAPA rebuilds work just fine and they're pretty cheap after core.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:15 PM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

Originally Posted by white_n_slow
brembo blanks can be bought pretty much anywhere... tirerack.com, groupbuycenter.com, ebay, etc etc...

I think my Axxis Ultimate pads are great for DD/autocross duty. I got them pretty cheap from a vendor called raceconcepts.net. I don't know if they're still around though.

For the caliper, NAPA rebuilds work just fine and they're pretty cheap after core.
thanks for all info...what about pads from like Autozone or NAPA? Are they worth getting? I mean, I don't need crazy stopping power. I have a basically stock B18C1. Plus, I'd like to get this job done ASAP.

btw, maybe you should have sold me your caliper for cheap. h:
Old 01-25-2006, 05:59 AM
bnuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bendix pads are pretty decent, they have a nice consistant feel to them. I've have them on mine for 3 years and a summer of Auto-X. and they still ahve plenty of life in em. 35$ from Advance Auto. If you can actually hang on to reciepts they also have a warrenty for a new set.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:59 AM
bnuk

double post.... sorry
Old 01-25-2006, 06:06 AM
R_Squared
LEVEL UP

thanks for the info, i'll check those out.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:19 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

i too want to do an overhaul on my brake system. i need some pads that will offer superior braking and heat dissapation while not completely killing my wear life.

also what brake fluid do you guys recomennd i get, i want something that got a high boiling point, i tend to heat my brakes up pretty bad.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:37 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Originally Posted by sherwood
i too want to do an overhaul on my brake system. i need some pads that will offer superior braking and heat dissapation while not completely killing my wear life.

also what brake fluid do you guys recomennd i get, i want something that got a high boiling point, i tend to heat my brakes up pretty bad.
Again, my vote goes to axxis ultimate. They've got good bite, and work well cold or hot, and have very good road manners (no noise, good feel). Wear is about average... they only problem is dust.

As for fluid, pretty much any dot 4 (valvoline or whatever they sell at autozone) will be more than sufficient for the average spirited driver... this also applies to autocross. If you track your car, I'd think about ATE super blue or other high-end dot 4 or dot 5 fluids.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:42 AM
sherwood
I missed Sean

should i use dot-4 for my clutch fluid too, or should i just get dot-3? i figure if i go and buy the fluid might as well bleed everything that uses it
Old 01-25-2006, 10:15 AM
b00gers

The supplies for my last two brake jobs...I bought from http://www.importrp.com/home.php and I would buy from there again.

I had the Ultimates and currently have the Hawk HPS. For normal driving, they seem to be very similar. The Ultimates are great, they can bite down really hard. But they do dust A LOT.