Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Integra & 97-01 Integra Type-R (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/integra-and-97-01-integra-type-r-17/)
-   -   VTEC feels weak... (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/integra-and-97-01-integra-type-r/179661-vtec-feels-weak.html)

teg_fan 03-08-2005 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by red94teg
That makes sense, cause i've got Apexi WS and I can't hear vtec kick in, but on my buddies '99 GSR he has a test pipe and no muffler, so you can definitely hear it. It probably doesnt help that my vtec doesnt engage until around the same time as the secondaries open up anyway (somewhere around 6000 rpm). Oh yeah, what is the benefit to having vtec kick in this high? It was tuned that way when I bought the car.

your vtec shouldnt be set that high unless you have aftermarket cams, in which case I hear that the skunk2 stage 2's like to have vtec around 6k.

R_Squared 03-08-2005 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by teg_fan
your vtec shouldnt be set that high unless you have aftermarket cams, in which case I hear that the skunk2 stage 2's like to have vtec around 6k.

I had ITR cams in there before but then I had to swap b16 cams in for a while, but I am getting ITR cams put back in in a few weeks...

Snoopy 03-08-2005 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by mean-azz-acura
how bout vtec controllers, how do they work, and what are the pros and cons of having one? maybe vtec is tuned to open up when the horsepower levels and start to drop through the range, maybe thats why i dont really feel it, because its not really boosting the horsepower, just maintaining the power level where non-vtec usually drops off, which may be how the gs-r has a 8k redline that is practical. if im wrong, let me know, i know the basics of the function of the variable timing concept, but as far as hands on, though its my fourth teg, this is my first vtec...

a vtec controller by itself wont give you a whole lot. a vtec controller with upgraded internals that will allow the engine to breath better + time on the dyno will get you much better gains. with stock cams, vtec is best kept at it's stock engagement point.

1turbodc2 03-08-2005 04:51 PM

Vtec contoller isn't bad, like the Apexi VAFC or the fields one, but the thing with those is if u have a bunch enigine work done then it makes a difference and they have there limitations, as for your stock set up your vtec kicks in at about 4500 rpms, but u really don't hear till u have the second runners open up @ 6000k. I have a apexi VAFC that i am going to be installing in a couple weeks along with my cam gears, and gettin it dyno tunned.. (01 GSR comptech ice box, comptech headers, skunk2 cams, skunk2 intake, apexi N1 exhuast.)

PikkaGTR 03-08-2005 08:51 PM

its actually engaged at 4400 rpms and the secondary butterflies open @ 5700 rpms
the same engine speed for normal single stage VTEC engagement in the ITR

rslsgsr 03-08-2005 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by PikkaGTR
its actually engaged at 4400 rpms and the secondary butterflies open @ 5700 rpms
the same engine speed for normal single stage VTEC engagement in the ITR

werd! its all about the but dyno when it comes to "feeling the VTEC" hahaha, I swear... if i had a dollar for all the times i felt the "VTEC" I'll be as rich as donald trump.

slvrteg 03-09-2005 07:05 AM

I thought i read some where that vtec engagement is at 5500 for a stock gsr, right or wrong?

R_Squared 03-09-2005 10:02 AM

I read 5600...

Snoopy 03-09-2005 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by slvrteg
I thought i read some where that vtec engagement is at 5500 for a stock gsr, right or wrong?

no

Originally Posted by red94teg
I read 5600...

no

vtec engages at 4400 and the intake secondaries open at 5700-5800. how many times does this have to be posted in this thread alone? :down:

R_Squared 03-09-2005 11:21 AM

apparently many times...

my bad, i meant the secondaries, anyway.