Notices

Best turbo setup for a B18B?(ls motor)

Old 04-19-2004, 10:37 AM
AXiS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFatbooty
Almost forgot to add:

The reason the typical Honda setups are T3/T4 instead of a full T4 is precisely because they involve relatively low boost and non-stratospheric horsepower numbers. It gives reasonable spool-up and transient response while still maximizing compressor efficiency.

I mean, if you really wanted you could run something like a Garrett GT28R but that would be rather pricey just to bolt on to an LS motor.
What is the average spool time on a b18b utilizing a t3/t4 normally? I still think that unless the car is going to be for drag only a smaller, faster spooling turbo would be more enjoyable than a larger, more laggy one. One advantage to running a larger turbo at a lower PSI would be that one can sometimes get away with not using an intercooler, so I guess that could be considered a plus.
Old 04-19-2004, 12:56 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

You're right, the high compressor efficiency would make running without an intercooler a reasonably workable proposition--but most kits out there have an intercooler and I'm of the opinion that it's still good to have one.

Here's a dyno of an LS with a Drag turbo kit that uses a T3/TO4E 54 trim.

Spool time could definitely be better, but this car is only having boost limited by the wastegate spring. The wastegate used in this kit is a Turbonetics Deltagate which can really be helped by using a boost controller to keep the boost/vacuum signal off the spring.

As for a smaller turbo, there are some kits out there that come with a T25 but they're kind of wimpy on the top end. They're potentially more responsive but they give up a lot of power potential to the T3/TO4E 54.

Ideally one would want to run a Garrett GT28RS which should reach full boost by 3000 rpm and provide similar or better peak efficiency to the T3/TO4E 54--but it costs $1200.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:17 PM
KKTPP

Default Arrgggg!

wtf.. so i went to one of my last performance shops on my list for my quoting..

this guy wants about 4000 canadian for a greddy turbo kit(he says drag kits and the others dont fit well.. and always require lots of mods)

he wants about $800 canadian for the installation

$1000 canadian for a dyno tuning

and he sez my engine will almost for sure blow up right away since it has 200,000 km on it(even tho i did a compression test and its fine)

wtf.. i think im gonna go to the other shops where they are more optimistic about my car hehe ANNNND hellofalot cheaper!

Kk
Old 04-19-2004, 03:18 PM
KKTPP

"Ideally one would want to run a Garrett GT28RS which should reach full boost by 3000 rpm and provide similar or better peak efficiency to the T3/TO4E 54--but it costs $1200."

is that JUST the turbo itself? 1200? or the whole kit.
Old 04-19-2004, 03:20 PM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

Just the turbo.

http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/me...egory_Code=GRT
Old 04-19-2004, 07:12 PM
KKTPP

Default good kit?

hey peeps

is this a good custom turbo kit/setup for my ls?.. it came off an ls.. so its right for it.. but just wanna know if this person made the right choices and if its worth buying this off him

Thermal 3 inch catback exhaust.
Greddy Td05 18g Turbo Kit with Greddy Blue Box
-Mitsubishi Td05 18g turbocharger
-310cc injectors
-Greddy Blue Box Fuel Management
TIAL Bov
Walbro 255 hp fuel pump
Pruven Performance Front Mount intercooler/piping(Huge Spearco Core, and stainless steal piping).
The Kit and everything is complete, and ready to bolt up to a b18b.

how much would you pay for this? i think it all sounds good

kk
Old 04-20-2004, 07:14 AM
AXiS

Originally Posted by KKTPP
"Ideally one would want to run a Garrett GT28RS which should reach full boost by 3000 rpm and provide similar or better peak efficiency to the T3/TO4E 54--but it costs $1200."

is that JUST the turbo itself? 1200? or the whole kit.
Hehe in the DSM world we are used to paying that much for turbos, but if we do we expect to make huge power. Check out http://www.forcedperformance.com for some nice DSM turbos, I'll hopefully one day get one of the FP 30xx series on my car.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:02 AM
MrFatbooty
Wannabe yuppie

On a built motor running more boost I could probably justify going with a GTxxR turbo--but that's because it's already a big outlay of cash for the motor so might as well go all the way with the best turbo for the job.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:22 AM
98teggs

hey kk did you go to etdracing?
they are a good shop in the GTA i think etobiko(however you spell it) they wont be so cheap but it will be worth it.
www.etdracing.com
Old 04-20-2004, 02:14 PM
newgsrdriver

Good job of explaining the benefits of a big turbo on low boost. Its all about efficiency and flow. Also let me add, on my 54 Trim .63a/r T3/T04E, lag aint shit. Its so small its insignificant. And thats a pretty decent sized turbo by DSM standards. Lag is a term thats tossed around a lot, but really shouldnt even be considered with any of the turbos included in kits.

As for that kit above, I wouldnt run the Greddy blue box or the 18g if you want to do things right. Doesnt make sense to run the 18g at all when you have much better options.

Quick Reply: Best turbo setup for a B18B?(ls motor)