Notices

Suspension- Springs... Advice?

Old 01-19-2004, 11:42 PM
#330ITR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of dropping the height of my R. I had checked out the Tein S- Tech Performance Springs. I have buddy who has the whole coilover kit with the damping force system and loves it. At the time, my pockets aren't heavy enough to pick up on the whole system, so I though that I would ask opinions on if it'll be a good move to take to slightly lower the ride. It'll drop 2.6 Front and 1.7 Back, which sould look good, and not take away to much performance, but help out. The Tein's only cost, $172 & I have a good buddy who is a ASE Mechanic who will help me install the springs and will help teach me how to install the whole system properly- **without fucking Up****- hope not 2. lol. :lol:

So if U guys could help advice me on what's up with the whole deal, if it's a good basic move to make? Is it a good investment for about a year or two until I upgrade? Let me know. Thanks..........

At the time being, I'm packed with a Custom Intake, JDM Header, JDM Hi-flow Cat, and 2.5 in Apexi Cat Back Exhaust, tunned by an AEM EMS. I'm running great and hoping to slightly improve on da dynamics of my R as well!

Brian
#330R-01
Old 01-20-2004, 05:30 AM
Tony

The factory suspension on an ITR is really, really good. Don't mess with it.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Trey

Tony is right.

Olathe huh? That's where Budman lives and where I picked my R up from.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:24 AM
B2FiNiTY

Those springs usually can be found for $135-145 shipped.

Very soft and mild. Not comparable at all to your friend's full system but they are good for just the look.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:50 AM
#330ITR

Originally Posted by Trey
Tony is right.

Olathe huh? That's where Budman lives and where I picked my R up from.
Hey Trey,

What's up? Yep, good O'l O-town, I've cruised by and have caught Budman a couple of times around town for a few years now, he's cool as shit! He invited me out once to Topeka 2 watch Jim and Him take on da Road Course during the Porsche Meet weekend- which was very impressive.

So are their any type of basic spring kits equal or better than stock? Or is the whole idea not worth messing up the whole stock geometry? Trying to gain a bit more & not lose 2 much. Thanks......

Brian
#330R - 01
Old 01-20-2004, 11:25 AM
e r i c s 9 9 s i

keep the factory ITR setup... its a better overall setup than the Tein Springs... I'd save until you can do a full coilover setup. My $.02
Old 01-20-2004, 01:55 PM
BudMan

Brian - wait until you can get a couple of track events under your belt. Otherwise you won't have any idea how REALLY GOOD the stock setup is.

Why else do you think I haven't switched until right now? :wink: see sig - you know how well my kaa ran at the Porsche event! :lol:
Old 01-20-2004, 05:46 PM
#330ITR

8) Cool, thanks guys! Trust me, I love my stock handling ability. Thanks for letting me know about the thoughts.

Hey Budman, what new susp. setup are u coming out with this spring? Can't wait 2 C it in action. I think that I'll be ready to hit da track. I'm still working out some tranny issues with the syncro's- trying to get the darn Acura dealer to warranty my 3rd Gear. But for the mean time, I'm all ready with a new clutch, plate and new stickies. Plus I'm also working on trying 2 pick up on a Laptop for my AEM EMS.

Thanks guys for all your advice!!!!!

C Ya out dis Spring. I'll be out there at the Expo, still working on saving some money.

Anyways, one more thing, how much would I need to save for the whole Expo trip between 3-4 people?

Brian
Old 01-20-2004, 11:11 PM
RunningOnMT
4Banger

My apology to Brian (#330ITR) for butting in on his thread.
I like to hear some opinions on the effectiveness of the ITR springs. I have set of Neuspeed Koni shocks that I'm thinking about pairing up with Comptech sports springs. I got them for the mild drop 1.3"; however, I haven't heard anything good or bad about them. Do you guys (or gals) think the ITR springs on the middle perch (seems stronger/larger than the other four) will give better performance with approximately the same drop (maybe 1.5") on my GSR? I'm not familiar with the springs rates of either one and if the difference in valving between the Neuspeeds, showroom stocks, regular yellows, etc. will come into play. Will the ITR springs be stiff enough to stay off the bumpstops and soft enough not to tear up my spine? Please include other factors that will effect handling and ride quality.
Old 01-21-2004, 03:37 AM
Trey

ITR springs and comptech springs are similar. I don't recall the comptech spring rates but they are soft enough if you get serious about track/auto-x or just the handling of your car you will probably want to change them.

Comptech is one of the few spring options I have seen that are driver/passenger side specific. Due to different spring rates to compensate for driver weight is best guess why they do that.