Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Integra & 97-01 Integra Type-R (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/integra-and-97-01-integra-type-r-17/)
-   -   Brakes making weird noise! (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/integra-and-97-01-integra-type-r/13196-brakes-making-weird-noise.html)

SpoonGSR 08-03-2002 07:05 PM

Brakes making weird noise!

I was driving around today in my 94 LS and when i would brake the brakes made this noise as if the brake pads were slipping and i would get a weird vibration through the brake pedal, the pads havent been changed for a while now is it time for new pads or is this an even bigger prob, and also there is a strange noise that sounds like the muffler is hitting the chassis, ive checked the heat shield and it isnt moving so could the muffler be loose????
-Thanks

SumAccordGuy94 08-03-2002 10:21 PM

You may have a broken brake pad... they do that sometimes if they get to worn down, they just kinda crack in hald. If its just a loud squeak, then maybe its the wear indicators, which are just metal straps that start to rub on the rotor to let you know its definatly time to change the pads. Or it is also possible that the pads are worn down to the steel...

The exhaust is probably hitting a heat shield, or one of the heat shields themselves are loose... the exhaust moves quite a bit when you are driving, so shake it pretty hard when you're under there and see if it hits anywhere...

Taiwanze7 08-03-2002 11:11 PM

the shaking while you brake is prolly worn pads or cracked pads... if the steering wheel shakes then the rotors are prolly warped...

SpoonGSR 08-04-2002 09:50 AM

thanks guys im gonna go get a set of those new AEM ceramic brake pads does anyone have them or know someone who does??

mrhonda_187 08-05-2002 10:58 AM

I don't mean to sound like an a$$, but this wasn't just the ABS, was it? Sounds like you've been driving it enough to know what the ABS feels like.

Take it to Speedy or Midas... most of those places give you a free evaluation. Take a good look at everything for yourself when they've got it up on the hoist with the wheels off.

AP2 08-05-2002 11:12 AM

Originally posted by SpoonGSR
thanks guys im gonna go get a set of those new AEM ceramic brake pads does anyone have them or know someone who does??
I happen to have a pair in the front. They don't look any different from Honda pads (yes I know they're both Nissin), except the AEMs look repainted. Braking performance feels the same as stock.

As for SpoonGSR's problem, you've worn out your pads/rotors pretty bad. It may be you're down to the steel indicators like someone said and/or your rotors are warped.

SpoonGSR 08-05-2002 05:42 PM

Originally posted by mrhonda_187
I don't mean to sound like an a$$, but this wasn't just the ABS, was it? Sounds like you've been driving it enough to know what the ABS feels like.
Nah its not the ABS i thought so at first but i dont brake hard enough for the ABS to come on it does it if I brake from like 20mph, btw one more question i was doin like 85 a couple of days ago and there was a turn so i slammed on the braked and they locked up and smoke came from the tires, my car is equipped with ABS, shouldnt it have come on??

SpoonGSR 08-06-2002 08:39 PM

Anyone, this is really weird to me???

99bajakid 08-06-2002 10:09 PM

If you saw a little smoke thats ok b/c abs pulsates your brakes, meaning the abs will allow your tires to lock up for a split second before the abs kicks in.