Notices

Please help!!!!!......just installed AEM CAI.....whistling

Old 11-03-2002, 04:36 PM
ITR#158

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just installed an AEM CAI in my 00 ITR. When i have the gas pedal half the way down i hear a whistling noise....it has to be from the intake...im almost positive. I have already checked everything several times and everything seems to be installed correctly. Does this happen to anyone else..do you think i have something wrong with the intake i recieved from AEM....any ideas or solutions would be greatly appreciated. This damn whistling is annoying the hell out of me!!!!
Old 11-03-2002, 05:05 PM
quikRthanU

my intake whistles...but its not an aem
Old 11-03-2002, 05:14 PM
Kramar

i thought aem cai's have a "whistling" sound to them.....
Old 11-03-2002, 05:54 PM
Trey

It's normal. They all do it. AEM, Comptech (not as much), 98's/00's . . . .
Old 11-03-2002, 07:28 PM
bbasso

Its normal, mine does it.

most AEM CAI do it, don't worry.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:15 PM
paul98itr

My friend is a certified acura mechanic, actually one of the few certified on the nsx. He got to talk to an engineer about that, and they said it is common. some do it, then some dont. It is air leaking through the throttle body gasket. No big deal because it is just extra air trying to find a place to go. That is why you hear it more when allowing more air flow.
Old 11-03-2002, 10:25 PM
bbasso

"It is air leaking through the throttle body gasket. "

Not on my car, I changed the gasket and sealed that sucker up very well. I am sure its the air spinning inside at a high rate of speed that does it, Kinda like a tornado (not that bs thing you add either).
Old 11-04-2002, 03:29 AM
Trey

would make more sense it is air going through the throttle plate. And that even stock whisteles just that it is quieter due to less air and intake material.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:22 AM
AcAttack

Mine whistled, i think it sounded badass. Get the pedal just right threw the gears, sounds like u got something else besides an Intake under the hood.
Old 11-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Aj

Originally Posted by paul98itr
My friend is a certified acura mechanic, actually one of the few certified on the nsx. He got to talk to an engineer about that, and they said it is common. some do it, then some dont. It is air leaking through the throttle body gasket. No big deal because it is just extra air trying to find a place to go. That is why you hear it more when allowing more air flow.
I think either your friend or the engineer he talked to was drunk, air doesn't leak out of the gasket, if anything it would get sucked in. even still, it's a paper gasket, that by the time you ever take it off, is so well bonded to either the manifold or TB, that I'd find it very difficult to beileve that it's leaking.

I've acutally taken my TB off without replacing that gasket, and it still doesn't leak.

Tell your buddy to go slap the engineer(JK)

Later!
Aj