Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Integra & 97-01 Integra Type-R (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/integra-and-97-01-integra-type-r-17/)
-   -   Timing advancement on a teg (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/integra-and-97-01-integra-type-r/11868-timing-advancement-on-a-teg.html)

eclipse spanker 07-29-2002 05:27 AM

Timing advancement on a teg

Supposedly, if you advance your ignition timing by 2 degrees, by turning your distributor, it is suppose to give more power, and better gas mileage. However, I asked a mechanic about this, and he said I'd be hard-pressed to find an easier way to f*ck up my engine. Have any of you guys advanced the ignition timing on your tegs ? What were the results ? Did you find the car to be less reliable ?

newgsrdriver 07-29-2002 05:46 AM

At least you now know not to take your car to that guy.

Unless you're running FI or something that drastically increases the chances of detonation, increasing the ignition timing will not do any harm whatsoever.

[hC] 07-29-2002 08:26 AM

Ive also heard that you cant do this to cars with OBD2? like you cant use a timing gun on them cause there arent any markings? or that even if you do advance it, your engine will just retard it anyways? Or is it that it will retard it if you go too far and it knocks? Im confused on the whole issue. can someone clarify it all up?

moyerek 07-29-2002 08:40 AM

2 degrees will not harm your engine if its basically stock....thats what most performance chips do, they advance your timing. I guess if you went to the extreme you would start to run lean and detonate

Shingoblade-GSR 07-29-2002 08:40 AM

Originally posted by [hC]
Ive also heard that you cant do this to cars with OBD2? like you cant use a timing gun on them cause there arent any markings? or that even if you do advance it, your engine will just retard it anyways? Or is it that it will retard it if you go too far and it knocks? Im confused on the whole issue. can someone clarify it all up?
I have also heard that you cannot advance the timing on an OBD2 integra...the only way to advance the timing would be to use an OBD2-OBD1 harness. I believe one of the moderators can clarify this.

Shingo

eclipse spanker 07-29-2002 01:42 PM

BUt I mean, if this "timing advance" really increases gas mileage and power, but has NO negative effects, dont you guys think the cars would have come stock with their timing adavnced ?

jgrotkier 07-29-2002 01:50 PM

Originally posted by eclipse spanker
BUt I mean, if this "timing advance" really increases gas mileage and power, but has NO negative effects, dont you guys think the cars would have come stock with their timing adavnced ?
it may have a lot to do with the fact that you have to run higher octance gas to avoid pinging when you advance your timing.

thx247 07-29-2002 05:55 PM

Its probably detuned slightly for a few reasons:

the power gains are very minimal

gas quality cannot always be ensured

people do not maintain their cars as well as they should and honda knows that

The integra wasn't supposed to be a race car, its a daily driver with a tuned engine. It has a warrenty, good gas mileage...all that stuff so that people that don't take care of their vehicles don't blow them up 2 years out. Real sports cars need all kinds of maintenence all the damn time, the wilder the tune, the more down time basically. Honda had to make a compromise with the B18 SOMEWHERE =)

b18c_power 07-29-2002 07:48 PM

good points ;)

eclipse spanker 07-30-2002 05:06 AM

OK that makes sense :)