Notices

can anyone help me hook up my new temp. gauge??

Old 07-12-2003, 10:57 PM
k.a.y

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can anyone help me hook up my new temp. gauge??

I'm trying to hook up my auto meter water temp gauge, and I am completely clueless as to how/where to install my sensor. are there any brass fittings that I can remove to install the new one w/ the sensor? something that just goes to the stock one? pls. help!!
Old 07-12-2003, 11:53 PM
Outxider
X-Motoring

u dun need the autometer sensor, just tap into ur stock one. look under the distributor and u will see a small sensor tap into the block, its very small, in the middle of some other sensors, its the water temp sensor, tap into that and watch the gauge come alive.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:45 PM
k.a.y

THANX!! I'll try that in the morning & let you know how it goes!
Old 07-17-2003, 12:05 AM
k.a.y

Well, I tried that.......It sorta worked, but not really. see, rather than the temp gauge starting @ zero & going up to 180 or so, is starts @ 150 & goes up to 250. but the stock sensor looks like it's the same size as the new one autometer sent me, so i'm just gonna screw the auto meter one in place of the stock one. any ideas why it would so this, though? is it causethe stock sensor is putting out a stronger signal than the autometer one will? what would cause this??
Old 07-17-2003, 12:37 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by k.a.y
but the stock sensor looks like it's the same size as the new one autometer sent me, so i'm just gonna screw the auto meter one in place of the stock one.
DO NOT do that! The ECU takes a signal from that sensor and will throw a code (6) if it is unplugged/removed. Ideally you should find a new place to drill and tap for the probe, it is probably 1/8 NPT which is a standard thread size.

On an FC RX-7, you drill/tap the thermostat housing. I'm not sure if this is common practice on Hondas.
Old 07-17-2003, 02:10 AM
Outxider
X-Motoring

what kinda gauge u got? i have an autometer and the gauge reads from 100 to 250 and will not read below 100. works fine for me.

Well, I tried that.......It sorta worked, but not really. see, rather than the temp gauge starting @ zero & going up to 180 or so, is starts @ 150 & goes up to 250. but the stock sensor looks like it's the same size as the new one autometer sent me, so i'm just gonna screw the auto meter one in place of the stock one. any ideas why it would so this, though? is it causethe stock sensor is putting out a stronger signal than the autometer one will? what would cause this??
Old 07-17-2003, 09:21 AM
k.a.y

it's an autometer lunar aeries gauge. Your gauge should read 180 degrees, after starting from the bottom of the gauge. it's pointless for it to go from 100 to 250, because if the motor starts to overheat, how the hell are you going to know if the gauge is topped out. I've had the stock gauge unhooked for 2 days, and no codes are being thrown. I think i'm just going to unscrew the stock one & thread in the autometer one. they look like the same exact size/thread, so i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:12 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

it's pointless for it to go from 100 to 250, because if the motor starts to overheat, how the hell are you going to know if the gauge is topped out.
If the gauge reads 250, your car is far past overheating. Not sure if that's what you mean.

When I unplugged my Civic's block temp probe (testing for proper funtion) the car instantly threw a code and ran like shit.:dunno:
Old 07-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Outxider
X-Motoring

wat r u talkin bout? my gauge starts at 100 to 250, its an autometer phantom series. its electrical btw. its fairly accurate because the optimal temp u want to be is around 200 and below and most of the time, mines sit between 165 and 200. one hot 110 degree weather day i had, drivin errands around with my dinky single core radiator, it read all the way up to 240 and my stock temp gauge startin creep towards to H.

it's an autometer lunar aeries gauge. Your gauge should read 180 degrees, after starting from the bottom of the gauge. it's pointless for it to go from 100 to 250, because if the motor starts to overheat, how the hell are you going to know if the gauge is topped out. I've had the stock gauge unhooked for 2 days, and no codes are being thrown. I think i'm just going to unscrew the stock one & thread in the autometer one. they look like the same exact size/thread, so i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by Outxider
wat r u talkin bout? (...) one hot 110 degree weather day (...) it read all the way up to 240 and my stock temp gauge startin creep towards to H.
I don't know about you, but running 240 degrees would bother me to the point of shutting it down and letting it cool a while. That's about 55 degrees over normal, not healthy for the engine.