Notices

Which Turbo to Purchase??

Old 10-08-2004, 11:17 AM
intjinfj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Turbo to Purchase??

There are to many turbos for the b18c1 to chose from!! Anyone have any experince with any of these many different types of turbos? What you liked disliked things of that nature. How easy it was to install. Any useful information would be great.

Just to give you guys an idea what I am looking for. I would like to be around 300whp not looking to go any higher then that. I still want to have my air conditioning. I am working on getting a stage 2 clutch, new light flywheel and 3" CatBack from Thermal Research, before I do the turbo upgrade. I have a 94 GSR. I have reasearched like mad for all of these turbo kits, but none have really posted the kind of real world info that I am looking for. Thanks as always for letting me pick your brain. Just as a side thought if you have not had a specific turbo kit and you are just posting what a friend said about said turbo kit, that is not the kind of post I am looking for. HANDS ON RESULTS ONLY PLEASE
Old 10-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

300 whp on stock internals is pushing it (I assume they are stock internals). If you are mechanically inclined, you could piece your own together and save a lot of money and pump out more horsepower than a comparable Greddy or Drag kit.

It would be helpful to include what you are looking for in the turbo: daily driveability with quick spool; larger, slower spooling; high boost; low boost??? The rest is pretty universal.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:51 AM
intjinfj

Well the 300hp is the end game of this project. I would be happy with 230-240whp on stock internals with 7-8psi. Which I have read the stock internals with a healthy motor can handle. I will be purchasing a turbo timer, new pistons, crank bearings, and other essentials to bump the PSI later. I want this to be a drivable car, such as I want my air conditioning. I would like the turbo to spool at about 3500rpm. I am looking at a kits becuase they are easy to install. If I can save cash just piecing the kit together that would be great. Just not sure what I need to get in a kit for sure.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:26 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

New higher strength rods would be a good idea as well.

Check out this site for piecing a turbo together: http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yelevich/turbo/turbo.html

It tells you what you need for the complete kit assuming you are handy and creative enough to install it. Use something else for fuel management than what they tell you. I would recommend hondata.

Also, a great book for tuning D,B, and H series engines is: Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. Look for it on half.com. It is an invaluable resource for everything pertaining to building and tuning engines for maximum performance.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:50 AM
dubcac
I

Don't try and tune it yourself with a book, do it right and have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. An improper tune is a great way to toast a motor, built or stock. 300whp can be done on stock internals with the right tune. I have seen it done many times...I've seen stock B series blocks handle 16psi. However, this doesn't mean that it always works, so if you wanna run higher than 10psi, build your block. 240whp on stock internals is easily attainable. But like I said, make sure it's correctly tuned so that it will last.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:37 PM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by dubster99
Don't try and tune it yourself with a book, do it right and have it done by someone who knows what they are doing. An improper tune is a great way to toast a motor, built or stock. 300whp can be done on stock internals with the right tune. I have seen it done many times...I've seen stock B series blocks handle 16psi. However, this doesn't mean that it always works, so if you wanna run higher than 10psi, build your block. 240whp on stock internals is easily attainable. But like I said, make sure it's correctly tuned so that it will last.
I suggested the book as a guideline for the turbo selection, not as a tuning guide. It mentions nothing in the book pertaining to the actual tuning. I just think it would be a great guideline for building a killer turbo motor and setup.

16 psi on a stock motor can be done. It is very risky and considering it is a daily driver, I wouldn't recommend it ever.

I do agree that tuning is what will make or break your turbo setup, so make sure it is done right by qualified professionals.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:15 PM
acuratxracer
91 integra ls

ok i gotta question about building your own turbo set up ive been looking around at boosting and all so if i build my own set up and install it my self in my drive way that means that it wont be tuned , so if its not tuned would it be advisable to drive to a shop to get it tuned or to tow it ? just a question ive been wondering