Notices

How to free stuck ebrake on '92 Accord?

Old 04-07-2004, 02:11 PM
risbergs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to free stuck ebrake on '92 Accord?

I have a 1992 Accord LX that I left in the parking lot in Riga, Latvia for 3 weeks in 25-45 degree weather. The ebrake is stuck. The car can move forward or backward with great difficulty. The ebrake handle and dashboard light seem to work - but the brake is still stuck. Can you suggest a solution? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2004, 02:58 PM
mwkirchner

Originally Posted by risbergs
I have a 1992 Accord LX that I left in the parking lot in Riga, Latvia for 3 weeks in 25-45 degree weather. The ebrake is stuck. The car can move forward or backward with great difficulty. The ebrake handle and dashboard light seem to work - but the brake is still stuck. Can you suggest a solution? Thanks.
The problem you are experiencing is the shoes sticking to the inside of the drums.

You will have to remove the wheels and with a BIG hammer ... WHACK!! the drums around the outside and on the face of them to try to get the shoes to release. You may have to do this a few times ... but you should eventually get them to release.

Oh ... and next time you are in Riga, Latvia ... do not use the "E" brake. I hear that it is against the law to use them there ... just kidding
Old 04-07-2004, 03:19 PM
risbergs

Default No Latvian laws have been broken...

Thank you for the reply. This is the first time I have used this forum. I will try your solution. Ironically, I have a mechanic at the "guarded parking lot" and I have a "personal mechanic" that I will call tomorrow. You might be surprised how economical mechanical services cost in the former "communist conficated" Latvia. One final question - it is the driver's side rear wheel that receives the "whacks" isn't it? Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:23 PM
mwkirchner

Thank you for the reply. This is the first time I have used this forum. I will try your solution. Ironically, I have a mechanic at the "guarded parking lot" and I have a "personal mechanic" that I will call tomorrow. You might be surprised how economical mechanical services cost in the former "communist conficated" Latvia. One final question - it is the driver's side rear wheel that receives the "whacks" isn't it? Thanks again.
No way of telling which wheel is affected until you get the car off the ground and try spinning the wheel. May be one side ... may be both.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:28 PM
risbergs

Default Which side is affected?

The problem I have is that I can't move my car from the parking lot. I thought that the ebrake "controls" one rear wheel. Am I mistaken? BTW, I will have a solution tomorrow, which will cost me anywhere from $10-$15 US. That is a *lot* of money in Riga, Latvia. I thank you for your help, since this problem has never happened before. If I have to get a mechanic to look at it, is there anything I should tell him? Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:39 PM
mwkirchner

The problem I have is that I can't move my car from the parking lot. I thought that the ebrake "controls" one rear wheel. Am I mistaken? BTW, I will have a solution tomorrow, which will cost me anywhere from $10-$15 US. That is a *lot* of money in Riga, Latvia. I thank you for your help, since this problem has never happened before. If I have to get a mechanic to look at it, is there anything I should tell him? Thanks again.
You can jack it up where it is to do this. You do not have to get it in a garage.

As far as what to tell him. Just explain to him that you had the car parked for the length of time you did and that you had the "E" brake on. If he IS a mechanic ... that is all he should need to know.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:44 PM
risbergs

Default One more Thank You...

I will try this in the morning (3am in Riga now). As an ASP.NET non mechanic kind-of-guy, I thank you again for your help. Saw your website - thanks again!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:00 PM
mwkirchner

I will try this in the morning (3am in Riga now). As an ASP.NET non mechanic kind-of-guy, I thank you again for your help. Saw your website - thanks again!
The website is one I built for a friend at work.

You are welcome for the help. Let us know how you make out.

NOW GET TO BED !!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 04:54 PM
risbergs

Default Sorry for the mistaken identity website...

My mistake, I thought you were/are Bill Auchterlonie. I will get back to you tomorrow regarding the success of my being able to move my car from the Riga parking lot. BTW, even if I need to be towed, your advice is very much appreciated and you *really* should have a website. Thanks again. Finally, ASP.NET programmers don't need sleep. We just look like we need it...
Old 04-07-2004, 05:35 PM
mwkirchner

My mistake, I thought you were/are Bill Auchterlonie. I will get back to you tomorrow regarding the success of my being able to move my car from the Riga parking lot. BTW, even if I need to be towed, your advice is very much appreciated and you *really* should have a website. Thanks again. Finally, ASP.NET programmers don't need sleep. We just look like we need it...
Nope ... that is a very good friend of mine. He asked me to put that together for him and his friends.

I am an ex-Honda tech who now is the service-coordinator in a Honda dealership. I just try to get to different forums to help out where I can.

Is this you by chance?

Quick Reply: How to free stuck ebrake on '92 Accord?