Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning-33/)
-   -   B16 turbo?? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/engine-swaps-tech-and-tuning/215402-b16-turbo.html)

B16a2VTIguy 12-01-2005 03:08 PM

B16 turbo??

I have a civic EG hatch with a B16a2, i was looking into a crvtec but its not what i want.
I am seriously considering a turbo now, what parts will i need? I know i need turbo manifold,turbo,dump valve etc what else will i need??

I also need a re-programmable ECU, i havent got a huge budget so whats best for the money (chrome, uberdata ,hondata etc) also i have a VAFC2 wired in will this cause any probs with putting a new ecu in?

What boost/size turbo and power can i get out of the standard engine (no cams etc) i have a full exhaust and de-cat, plugs+leads only.

I know this is not ideal but i'm looking to do this as cheaply as poss!! i have very little money any help will really help, thanks!

IntegraType-R 12-01-2005 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by B16a2VTIguy
I have a civic EG hatch with a B16a2, i was looking into a crvtec but its not what i want.
I am seriously considering a turbo now, what parts will i need? I know i need turbo manifold,turbo,dump valve etc what else will i need??

I also need a re-programmable ECU, i havent got a huge budget so whats best for the money (chrome, uberdata ,hondata etc) also i have a VAFC2 wired in will this cause any probs with putting a new ecu in?

What boost/size turbo and power can i get out of the standard engine (no cams etc) i have a full exhaust and de-cat, plugs+leads only.

I know this is not ideal but i'm looking to do this as cheaply as poss!! i have very little money any help will really help, thanks!

Lets look into your budge, a custom turbo kit piecing together is goin to probably run anywhere from 500-2000 depending on pieces.. boost wise ona stock block no more then 10, i'd actually play it safe and run 8, and standard b16a2 u can probbaly put a higher end of 200+ whp and around the mid to low range in torque,.. on ebay they have some good kits goin for 700 bucks.. everything .. just get a nice basemap and get it tuned a buddy of mine bought one of those turbo kits off ebay they got going on, the manifold is crap but other then that, those kits are complete, specially with a t3/t4 turbo its pretty fucken good.. i'd check into it.

B16a2VTIguy 12-01-2005 04:48 PM

Yeh i was looking at the turbo kits on ebay, i'm not too bothered if the manifolds shit, i'll just get a knew one if not straight away then in a few months.
So do i need a oil feed? and do i get that from the sump?
is ther anything else i need to modify? or is the rest bolt on?

My budget is as cheap as poss!! but i cud probs stretch to like 900-1000 pounds. I'm in the UK so postage will cost some too.

shirley 12-01-2005 05:06 PM

you are going to need a pressurized oil feed line and a return line, the feed line can easily be done with a oil filter adapter and the return line will run to the pan....
http://www.turbocalculator.com/custom.html
this can explain some of the basic information about building a custom turbo

jeterkm02 12-01-2005 06:21 PM

you need....

turbo manifold
turbo
downpipe
intake
charge piping
couplers
oil feed
oil return
oil retun bung on your oil pan
intercooler
injectors
fuel pump
engine managment - uberdata, hondata
blow off valve
wastegate (unless the turbo is internally wastegated)

vacuum lines for bov, wastegate to turbo.

you have two choices as to where to get oil from.
A: from the oil pressure sender.
B: using an oil sandwich that sits between the oil filter and block.

if you have further questions...
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1024174

that page should have any answer for any quetion u may have about turboing your cars.

hth,
kris

b16ahybrid 12-01-2005 07:39 PM

To be honest if your budget is very limited I wouldn't recomend boost.

900-1000 pounds equals what in american currency?
If you really want to go turbo do your self a favor, do NOT go with the e-bay crap, sure it's cheap and it will get you going, but consider it a waste of about $700. Almost everything will have to be replaced eventually.
If it's from ssautochrome you'll be replacing it a lot sooner then you want.
Take your time and buy quality used parts, once you get everything then put it on. Doing it half ass will only get you a blown motor, and empty pockets....
I'm not trying to talk you out of doing this, but I'd hate to see a post from you saying "help my motor sounds like shit and smokes like crazy whats wrong" or "help my manifold cracked/turbo seized up/car runs like shit/etc"

There are two rules that I always recomend and follow..
1) K.I.S.S (keep it simple stuipid) 10 hack devices to make your turbo set-up work half ass is not simple. Hondata, higher flow fuel pump and larger injectors is simple.
2) NEVER skimp on the tuning. If you want a blown motor cheap out on it and spend the money you saved on tuning to rebuild your engine....
It comes down to this.
Cheap
Fast
Reliable.... pick two and sacrifice the other....
There are exception, but very few and they are far and few in between....
Oh and those e-bay kits, most don't come with an intercooler or any form of fuel management....thats another cost you must add on to it. The only thing worth anything in the kit is the charge pipes, you cant really screw those up....they're pipes that are hollow and have bends:thinking:

B16a2VTIguy 12-02-2005 12:21 PM

Ok, didnt realise the ebay kits wer that bad!!! i thought the turbos where ok coz they have greddy internals in 'em, i've heard the manifolds arnt the best but i was just gonna get a better one a month or so later.....
The kit i was looking at has a intercooler etc.
So would it be worth getting a greddy kit? i saw some dynos on www.importreviews.com of B16 turbos using the greddy kit and they seemed to give good power increases. what u guys think?
Also can anyone answer whats the best ECU to get and will it be ok to plug in with the VAFC2 already wired in?

B16a2VTIguy 12-02-2005 12:34 PM

oh, also forgot to ask, will i need new injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure reg? etc

b16ahybrid 12-02-2005 03:24 PM

Your better off building your own set-up.
The best ecu from what I hear is the AEM EMS, but thats kind of expensive so the next best would be hondata.
Ditch the vafc it's going to be worthless. If your going to do this the right way you will need larger injectors and the fuel pump will depend on how much power you plan to make....When it comes to turbo's everything you do depends upon other components...such as injectors if and what size depends on the amount of power your looking to make and the form of tuning your going with.
If you'll need a new pump depends on the amount of power you plan to make, the form of tuning, and your injectors size.
The turbo size depends on the amount of power you want to make....
Method of tuning depends on how much you like having a car to drive around everyday....etc.....see where I'm going here?
What parts you can and will need depends on your budget....speaking of you never did clarify that for me....I can help you a lot better once you give me a budget....I belive it's about $1,500 in U.S currency correct?

B16a2VTIguy 12-03-2005 12:30 PM

Yeh probably about $1,500. Im not looking for major power coz it's a daily driver. I wana run stock internals and like 8-10psi boost, i want boost to kick in at like latest 2500rpm - 3000rpm so do i need like a t3 turbo? would i beable to get like 230-240bhp (not whp) like this? and for this type of build will i need new injectors, pump etc?
which hondata should i go for? a s200 or s300? or are ther any cheaper ECU's that are ok for me?
B16ahybrid can u post your setup of your b16 turbo please? is your kit custom? and did u do it urself?
ste