Notices
Drag Strip From the staging lanes to the finish line, this is the spot for on-track drag racing discussion.

What to worry about when drag racing?

Old 07-20-2004, 05:20 PM
mitsurugi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to worry about when drag racing?

Hopefully I can get some help for my concern...

Here's the situation: I've never raced much before, and never at the track. Tomorrow night they are having open racing at the local track (only 1/8 mile). There are always quite a few imports out there and I'd like to join some of my friends racing. But, this is my only and daily driver, and I don't really want to have it down for too long fixing broken stuff. I can if I need to, but, you get the point. So, my question is should I be worrying much about breaking anything? Or should I just stop being a wuss and go out there. Any help or comments appreciated. Btw, I have a 94 Civic EX manual with bolt ons and lowered. Thanks
Old 07-21-2004, 04:34 AM
FMOS Racing
Still Plays With Trucks

Don't do a big, crazy burnout, and don't stay in it if it wheel-hops out of the hole, and you shouldn't have any problems. If you let it wheel hop, though, all kinds of nastiness can happen pretty quickly.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:02 AM
westcoaststyle
Still here... sorta...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

:werd:

Just feather it out of the hole and then punch it. There's not much to it between doing it on a track and doing it at a street light.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:11 PM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

actually, with a 94 ex theres really no need to feather it, especially if you have aftermarket wheels with decent grippy tires. I have tried launching my car from like 5000 and dropping the clutch, its definitely faster than slipping. theres just not enough power to justify slipping it.
Old 07-21-2004, 01:28 PM
mitsurugi

Thanks for the suggestions guys I just have stock tires with the stock steelies, so nothing super grippy or special. And like I said, I just have bolt ons, so its not like i'm producing tons of power over stock. I'm gonna go out tonight and see how it goes. Races start at 7pm mountain time, so I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 07-21-2004, 06:20 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I guess you are already there, oh well.

There is no need to do a burnout with stock tires. It will only waste rubber.

Drive around the burnout box. Don't get your tires wet if you don't have to.

Launch late into the second yellow. This will net the best R/T's, don't worry about redlighting. Everyone does it once in a while. (My best ET was on a .427 redlight)

A bolt-on EX is not going to be nearly fast/powerful enough to worry about braking stuff, so all is good there (except for the previously mentioned wheel hop issues.)
Old 07-21-2004, 09:45 PM
mitsurugi

Just got back from the drags and they were pretty fun. It doesn't appear that I did any damage to anything. Here is my best slip: (remember this is an 8th mile) Let me know what you guys think

Reaction: .115
60 ft: 2.541
ET @ 594 ft: 10.431
1/8 ET: 11.147
1/8 mph: 62.84

Could be better I guess. I'm new at this drag racing stuff so please don't flame too much.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally Posted by mitsurugi
Let me know what you guys think (...) Reaction: .115
Way too early, wait until late into the second yellow.
Way late, looks like you bogged severely, held on to a serious wheel hop situation, or have really sh*tty tires.
Sorry, your car is just pathetically slow, about a 17.6 second 1/4 mile. Don't worry, I won't make any Civic jokes, because I just love them to death.

For what it's worth, the 15.5 I advertise in my profile was a 10.091 1/8 mile. The slowest timeslip I have shows a 10.709 1/8 mile on a 16.478 1/4 (and that was after I said 'F it for the night, I'll let my car idle in staging.' Talk about heat soaked. :chuckles: )
Old 07-22-2004, 06:53 AM
s1ngle
clutch slipping boost

Originally Posted by mitsurugi
Just got back from the drags and they were pretty fun. It doesn't appear that I did any damage to anything. Here is my best slip: (remember this is an 8th mile) Let me know what you guys think

Reaction: .115
ET @ 594 ft: 10.431
1/8 mph: 62.84

Could be better I guess. I'm new at this drag racing stuff so please don't flame too much.

how did you launch it?
Old 07-22-2004, 06:37 PM
mitsurugi

Originally Posted by Kai
Way too early, wait until late into the second yellow.)
How is that too early? Perfect is .000 isn't it?

Originally Posted by Kai
Way late, looks like you bogged severely, held on to a serious wheel hop situation, or have really sh*tty tires.
Probably a combination of all three, haha. I'm running stock radials, so, yeah.

Originally Posted by Kai
Sorry, your car is just pathetically slow, about a 17.6 second 1/4 mile. Don't worry, I won't make any Civic jokes, because I just love them to death.

Guess I need some more engine work.

Originally Posted by s1ngle
how did you launch it?
Revved up to about 3000 and dropped the clutch.