Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Do It Yourself (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself-50/)
-   -   Misc. Honda/Acura: Car Washing Tips (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/do-it-yourself/45680-misc-honda-acura-car-washing-tips.html)

98CoupeV6 02-14-2003 04:45 PM

Originally posted by acuraman32cl
one day i wanted the best clean possible so i went to canadian tire and bough some nice cotton washing mits that go on your hands, proffessional drying cloths-that will not scratch your paint and for soap, i bough some rain-x wash and shine. It seems to work really well. I dont wax my car cause in toronto during the winter there is an endless amount of salt dumped on the roap but the raninx works well.
Well, you really should start. By not waxing your car, you're letting the road salt eat your clearcoat and eventually your paint away. Wax is basically a protective layer that will shield your car from environmental contaminants and UV rays. In 5 years, especially in Toronto, your car is gonna look like ass if you don't wax. You only have to wax every few months...I do it once in the spring for summer and once in the fall for winter.

b12uceHuy 02-15-2003 08:57 PM

98CoupeV6 quote:

Well, you really should start. By not waxing your car, you're letting the road salt eat your clearcoat and eventually your paint away. Wax is basically a protective layer that will shield your car from environmental contaminants and UV rays. In 5 years, especially in Toronto, your car is gonna look like ass if you don't wax. You only have to wax every few months...I do it once in the spring for summer and once in the fall for winter.
I think your talking about a buffer that spins @ a high rpm ie: a GRINDER with an a buffing attachment. What I am talking about is a low rpm buffer.

hakjai 02-16-2003 06:46 PM

hey guys while we're on the topic of washing cars any of u see the new superstreet with the yellow si on the cover? theres a good step by step article on how to detail ur car and wat to look for, how to treat it..pretty interesting

Jokieman31 02-21-2003 03:27 PM

Check meguires for a good buffer. Dual Action, won't leave swirl marks.. bit expensive, but i'd rather pay more for that, then have to spend 4 grand on a new paintjob.

captainsaveaho 02-22-2003 03:59 PM

i heard that if you use dish washing soap, it'll ruin your paint, that true?

acura99 02-22-2003 04:36 PM

Hello everyone,

I have a very stupid question and I have tried to look an answer for this. What is the difference between waxing and polishing?
And how frequently it should be done, like in my case where I live in Montreal. The color of my car is red and I have a hell of a time to keep the swirls marks away. If i do take these out, they come back again :confused:

Thanks

98CoupeV6 02-22-2003 04:54 PM

Originally posted by captainsaveaho
i heard that if you use dish washing soap, it'll ruin your paint, that true?
Dish washing soap will ruin the paint on cars without a clear coat. If you have a clear coat, it will simply strip the wax and all the shit trapped under the wax off :)

ClayMan 03-01-2003 08:10 PM

acid rain spots?

I'm talking about the spots that look like dried up water, but no amount of washing/scrubbing that can get it out. Is there any way to get rid of them?

98CoupeV6 03-02-2003 06:13 AM

Re: acid rain spots?

Originally posted by ClayMan
I'm talking about the spots that look like dried up water, but no amount of washing/scrubbing that can get it out. Is there any way to get rid of them?
The only thing I can think of would be to strip off your wax, and work a good quality clay bar on those spots. That should fix it. How often do you wax your car?

ClayMan 03-02-2003 07:12 AM

As of right now, never... I just got this Accord last week (99 LX coupe) and gave it it's first wash yesterday. And then I noticed all these dry water spots. I would think, from the looks of it, the previous owner didn't wax it that often.
So what I need to do is:
-strip the top layer (wax) with detergent (anything I should be careful of here? i.e. not rubbing too hard or something? detergent sorta sounds abrasive and scary)
-claybar the whole car
-wax once, wax twice .... wax more

anything else i'm missing here?