Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

How To: DIY Turbo

Old 01-08-2003, 12:38 PM
jdblack1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First real thread How to turbo

Turbo setup

5psi Boost
4 degrees ignition retard
93 octane

HF manifold
custom adapter for HF manifold to turbo
1st gen dsm 14b turbo
intercooler
bypass valve and pipe
1 1/8 npt cross
1 1/8 bspt male to 1/8 npt female adapter
3 1/8 npt male to -4AN stainless hose fittings
5ft -4AN stainless hose
1 1/8 npt male to 1/8 bspt female adapter
1 12mmx1.25mm banjo fitting w/ -4AN hose end
8ft of 3/8 fuel hose for water lines
4 hose clamps for water lines
1ft 5/8 hose for turbo drain with hose clamps
throttlebody adapter from ACE Truevalve
10ft 1/4 hose for bypass valve, wategate, boost gauge
apc cone filter from advance
radiator hose from advance
hose clamps for charge pipe
1 1/2 emt for charge pipe
2 fish tank check valves
2 fish tank t's
turbo gasket set from carquest
miscellaneous bolts

I used the side mount intercooler mounted in front so I had to get a radiator from a del sol.

How to (for the inpatients)
I started out in a weird way actually. I had seen many homemade setups and I'm mechanically inclined and had access to equipment, but I didn't figure I had enought $$$ for even the homemade deal.

Wrong.
I was windowshopping at a local salvage yard and found a 90 Plymouth laser RS. It's one of the FWD turbo DSM's. I bought a bunch of stuff and ended up giving $22 for the turbo, intercooler, and bypass assembly.

The other parts were bought online and local Ace True Value.

First things to do is get the parts listed above.

You can find the adapter plates on several internet forums, email me if you need some links.

This is actually an easy job.

To start with I removed all the stock exhaust and intake tube peices. Yank the AC and the radiator out also, cause it will just get in the way.

Start by bolting the manifold up. Depending on were you get your adapter plate you may have to bend the dipstick tube a little. No big deal. I made my own adapter plate and it was a little thicker which put the wastegate into the front crossmember of my CRX. 5th gens don't have that problem. I just took some metal out with a dremel tool.

Note: I had to cut my front crossmember and my bumper support. If you screw up your ride don't blame it on me

Once the turbo bolts up and you have a 1/2" of clearance on all points you are ready to move on. The water lines are easy to do. That's what the 10ft of fuel hose is for. Look on the back of your intake manifold for your EACV valve it looks like this
Old 01-08-2003, 12:42 PM
jdblack1

Completely remove one hose from the eacv coolant assembly. Replace that hose with one end of the fuel hose. Route it around your enginebay and tie it up so it won't find a place to rub. It hooks to one side of the turbo coolant line. The other turbo coolant line gets routed back to the eacv where the original hose was.

Easy right.

The oil line can be done many ways I didn't want to have a T on my block so I bought the adapters (The block is a 1/8 BSPT)

Here is where it goes into the block

I came off the block with the braided hose and went to a cross on the firewall. I wanted a cross so I could have my stock oil psi sender, manual oil psi gauge and the turbo feed. Here's the cross

The flared fitting is where the hose goes over to feed the turbo thru this banjo fitting

That's the feed now for the drain. I took the stock assembly off the Laser and cut the flanges off long enough to hook a peice of 5/8" hose and clamps. Go ahead and remove the oil pan I drilled and bolted my flange on with Nylock nuts So that's it for the pan. I rotated my bearing section of my turbo so that the drain went straight down.

Now for the part were you can do what and how you want to. I ended up with less than 400 bucks in my setup.

The charge piping can be made out of all kinds of stuff. I used radiator hose, EMT and the Bypass assembly
Old 01-08-2003, 12:43 PM
jdblack1

Here's a quick CHEAP fix for the map CEL. I put the fishtank T's and checkvalves in the map signal line

There's lots of little stuff that I probably left off. I did that setup a year ago.
Old 01-08-2003, 12:44 PM
jdblack1

Default I will answer any questions regarding this setup

simple or hard.

I'm pushed for time right now but I'll have the write up in a couple of hours.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:19 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you're done, please post the write up in your original post. try to make it as concise as possible. Thanks alot for your time
Old 01-08-2003, 05:40 PM
jdblack1

Check it now
Old 01-11-2003, 11:56 PM
seth90dx

Not to get off topic... But you were running 4lbs of boost? what kind of hp were you making?
Old 11-08-2003, 11:34 AM
Dubs
Just wait...

Default DIY Turbo...for a rookie...

I know how a turbo works, how to put it together, what each peice does, and why you need it...

But what I don't know is what kind of turbo to use, what size, or where to get it.

Also, what can I use for piping, like what kind of materials? (dryer vent??)

As far as the downpipe, my DX motor has the cat located verticle in front of the engine, so obviously it would ahve to relocated to the under the engine. How much work would it be to get the downpipe to run the the cat and fit my Apexi WS exhaust?

How much $$$ would the custom fitting for the downpipe/cat relocation/exhaust would it be?

How hard is it to run the oil lines and vacum lines for a rookie like me?

What kinda boost can I run on a 98 DX motor...all stock except for intake/exhaust?

Do I have to get a FMIC or can I just use bigger injectors? If not, what kind of FMIC should i get?

What kinda of exhaust manifold do I need...I can't do any fabrication myself, cause I don't ahve the tools...

Thanks for any input
Old 11-08-2003, 01:06 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/
Old 11-08-2003, 01:37 PM
5GVTEC

yeah, thats a good site, or you can try www.turbod16.com too, try the johnnyracecar place for intercoolers, very cheap. homemadeturbo will basically tell you how to install a custom turbo, read up!