Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Misc. Honda/Acura: Turn Your Amber Taillights Red

Old 05-17-2003, 11:02 PM
EddieK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn your amber tails RED! PICTURES UP!

this is a great DIY if you're sick of rollin in amber tail lights. i did it on my 97 civic hatch tail lights. i should have pictures by monday.

materials needed
Stained Glass Paint (fred meyers for 4 bucks)
Garbage Bags
Tape

Heres how to do it.

1.)Mask off the area of the tail lights that you dont want to be sprayed. I masked the border of the amber part of the tail light.

2.)I then put garbage bags to cover the outside area of the car to protect it from getting sprayed. You can use newspaper but make sure you got enough layers so that the paint doesn't seep through the paper

3.) Spray the tail lights and get a good coat but dont just dump all the paint on there, make sure you press the nozzle softly and evenly pass to give it a good coat.

4.) Let it dry for about 10 minutes and then remove the masking and garbage bags. this is just a precautionary step i took to make sure the paint doesn't harden and i end up with masking tape stuck on the borders of the light.

FINAL RESULTS

things to watch out for

Practice on something like newspaper to get the feel of the spray can and make sure you dont put toooo much on or else it'll look kinda dark.

when you spray it on it'll look REEEEAAALLL dark but dont worry. when it dries up it turns red.

You dont need to sand down the surface just make sure you clean it. because stained glass is VERY smooth i was assuming if it sticks to glass it should stick to plastic good.

the stuff is transparent paint so you dont need to worry about the lights not showing.

oh yeah. only put on ONE COAT. anything more will get it real real dark. and DO practice on something so you can get a light even coat the first try.

in any event if you get messed up looking tails just go at the sprayed part with some nail polish remover and it'll start stripping with added elbow grease

questions? comments?

ill have pictures up by monday. I REALLY LIKE THIS MOD! i was thinking about buying 2000 tail lights but i actually like this and ima roll wit the red tail lights for a while.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:21 PM
dom93hatch
more meat, more fire

It's already monday dood.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:48 PM
surferkai

post pics
Old 05-20-2003, 11:32 PM
flipped cracka
BOOM goes the dynamite!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does it actually light up red? or does the amber come through a little too?
Old 05-21-2003, 04:59 PM
crxb16er

looks pretty good buddy, wheres the b4 pic though. i wonder if i can do something like that with my crx light bar?
Old 05-21-2003, 05:21 PM
EddieK

Originally posted by crxb16er
looks pretty good buddy, wheres the b4 pic though. i wonder if i can do something like that with my crx light bar?
yeah my friend did it on his CRX it matched up GREAT. i'll try to get pics of his.

for the other guy, the signals light up red not amber. =T if you were to stripe sections of the tails you'd probably be able to get the amber to show through but that'd be a lot of work.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:52 PM
mulletov

So does the paint leave a glossy finish?
Old 05-21-2003, 06:38 PM
EddieK

Originally posted by mulletov
So does the paint leave a glossy finish?
yupp:thumbup: matches the tail lights good dont clear coat either cuz it'll make it very dark. if you screw up you can rub it with nail polish remover and it'll come off. takes some elbow grease but it's worth it when you get the results that you want in the end.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:23 PM
DIYguy
NWH's DIYguy

...or you could use red lense repair tape (then, if you don't like it...pulls right off)
Old 05-21-2003, 11:11 PM
EddieK

shut ur face.:madfawk: