Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Air Compressor tools

Old 08-29-2005, 05:43 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Compressor tools

Well, I'm only 3 mounting bolts short of removing my transmission. But for the life of me and after a few busted knuckles I cannot get those bolts to budge. And stripping them would be stuuuupid. So I've decided I'm investing in an air compressor and tools.

I want an air compressor, a hammer drill, and air ratchet. Compressors vary by tank size, psi and such. the drill and ratchets all have different torque ratings and may or may not need oil every now and then.

If anyone has this sort of setup, please give tips and advice as what brands you endorse and which ones to stay away from. Where should I save money? Where should I spend the extra? Size of your air tank? Does is short the breakers all the time? Are the tools durable? This is for home use not for a business.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:21 PM
thoughthard

In my situation, I went for bargains. I might use them once a year, if that.

Compressor: Sears pancake compressor, given to me ($0)
½" Impact Gun: Campbell Hausfeld cheepo on closeout at Wal-Mart (around $15)
3/8" Impact Gun: Used, unknown brand, given to me ($0)
Deep wall impact sockets: Harbor Freight, Pittsburgh brand sets on sale (around $20 for Std and Metric)
Impact Extensions: Harbor Freight, Pittsburgh brand sets on sale ($5)
Air Hose: Harbor Freight, Central Pneumatic brand ($4)
Air Hose Accessories: Harbor Freight, Central Pneumatic brand ($7)

I was looking at "better" brands, but a guy I work with used stuff from Harbor Freight frequently, with no problems. He asked me how much I would use them, and I told me pry once or twice a year. He suggested buying stuff from Harbor Freight, since he has never had a problem with it, and it is dirt cheap. If something breaks, go buy the whole set again for dirt cheap, or go buy a "good" name brand to replace the single piece. Either way, it is still cheaper than buying the name brand in the first place.

I am no mechanic by far. I might use the air tools to break loose a bolt or nut. So, my value air tools work fine for me. I have not even used the impact tools yet. The compressor was fired up to check to see if it works, and to pump up a volleyball :thumbup:
Old 08-29-2005, 07:31 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

I just want to know that whatever compressor I get is powerful enough to unwind stubborn bolts. Pumping up volleyballs is not what I need it for. I need short bursts of energy to at least get a stuck bolt to budge some. I can do the rest with elbow grease.

Just 3 bolts, damnit, has me thinking...maybe I need to jack that tranny up a little more to make it easier. What I mean is, maybe gravity is working against me as well.

The pancake compressors look very handy and portable. I can always buy an extra tank. But I wonder if the motor is powerful enough to work an impact.

I figure, I'm saving money doing this myself I might as well use saved money to get pro tools. Then next time I won't even hesitate to take on these jobs myself.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:09 PM
90sicivic
ACCORD & CIVIC TUNER

just take a biig ass breaker bar to it with a 2 foot steel pipe .. it should come off
Old 08-30-2005, 12:34 AM
robert f thomas

I am wishing you the best. I think you may have answered your self. Bolt troubles can be initiated by unleveled pieces that will not come apart. Can you get 2 jacks? One under each component? They have to be pretty level to seperate.
I would start all over. I would put the other bolts back in, level the tranny and motor. Then I would attempt to take out the trouble bolts before the other bolts.
Is the setup out of the car? I wouldn't take out the tranny inside the engine bay unless I had a jack under the motor and a "tranny" jack under the tranny. It is not safe to do this without support. If you only have one jack shimmy up the motor with blocks etc. level with the tranny - then use the jack for the tranny.
Good luck. RFT
Old 09-19-2005, 07:21 AM
EGB16A

Were U Located.......i Have A Strong Compressor 4 /s