Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Honda Accord 98-02: TL-S Steering Wheel Swap

Old 08-28-2002, 03:12 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a coupe--Coupes are all black, airbag too.

The type-S wheel will fit 94-97 Accord/CL and Ludes 97-01 but will require you to purchase the airbag also. As the airbags from these cars won't interchange with the new wheel. You will also need a new set of cruise switches and maybe a backing plate. However all the wires are the same as gen 6 cars so no splicing should be needed.(this is really hardcore for Gen5 cars as they need to find an airbag $$$$)

Type-S wheels will fit all 98-2002 Accord and works with their airbags.

If your airbag is not already black you will need to find one of those too. However, its most economic to reuse your airbag$$

A Steering wheel puller can be found at any Autoparts store around $10bucks. Bolts to aid in pulling wheel may not be included for the sides, locate any hardware store $0.52 cents. Being able to remove any wheel you want, priceless

In addition, to the install above I forgot to mention:
If you move or bump the rotary cable housing that all the wires are housed in and it spins you will need to reset the turn signals. Its easy, turn the cable assembly all the way clockwise until it stops. then turn it back 2 1/2 times until the arrow is pointing up and remount the steering wheel and tighten down the lock nut to spec.

I may have a Type-S wheel (no airbag) for sale. $75.00 plus you pay shipping. Please e-mail, first come first serve. When that one is gone I may be able to find a few more for the same price if you are willing to wait.
Old 08-28-2002, 03:50 AM
moofoo
Tastes like DonkeyBalls

for more information and instructions ... very detailed from honda itself... these instructions are for installing a wood steering wheel but it should apply to the type S wheel as well.

Hope this helps.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/accwoodwhl.pdf
Old 08-28-2002, 06:27 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Originally posted by moofoo
for more information and instructions ... very detailed from honda itself... these instructions are for installing a wood steering wheel but it should apply to the type S wheel as well.

Hope this helps.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/accord/accwoodwhl.pdf
Yes they have an excellent set of directions, but pictures can be helpful. I've posted the handa-acc link before but questions still persisted so Schmiddy and I felt the thread was needed. I hope people find it helpful.

I hope if people have non-leather wheels they don't limit them selves to just type-S ones for upgrade. The honda line-up has tons of leather wheels from 2000 and beyond that should complement any interior design. I think swapping out for a true leather OEM wheel looks better then the cheap leather wheel wrap. I had it before the upgrade, it can't compare to the feel of a real leather wheel. Just call your local Acura and Honda dealers find out what they have lying around from upgrading other cars and see if you can work with them to fetch the wheel you need. It works out so much better then ordering a wheel since the price is way cheaper. And 9 out of 10 times the wheel you get still has the factory seal on it anyway since they come from new cars.
Old 08-28-2002, 02:00 PM
Dr. Reef

Dammit!

I got stiffed by a guy on the internet!

He had an MDX wheel up for auction, and I won it at 99 CENTS! I guess the ****er realized it was worth more and decided that just because the auction is binding doesn't mean he is bound by it. Nobody else wanted the damn thing so why not let me have it? I mean, I WON THE FRICKING AUCTION FOR GOD"S SAKE!

The MDX's fit a little rough, but I really wanted to put it on my car.

That sumb!tch don't want to play fair.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:30 PM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Umm Ya,

anyone else have some gen 6 leather wheel conversions?
I had hoped this to be a rather informative DIY Post.
Old 09-12-2002, 08:03 AM
Dr. Reef

Trying to do the conversion as we speak.

I can't find a fvcking torx screw driver to fit the goddam bolts!

I couldn't even get started before I'm stopped dead in my tracks!

Any help on how to get the dammed bolts out?
Old 09-12-2002, 09:06 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

Sorry they are in good.
Go to sears and get a torx 30 bit I believe. Usually they come as a screwdriver set. Then turn the screw driver with vise grips to break them loose. You should have know trouble, the right tools are important. If it says a torx you need a torx.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:15 AM
Dr. Reef

Okay, I just got a T30 torx driver. Now I can't turn the fvcking screw. Guess I better get some vise grips and pray.

How will I ever get them that tight again?

And, did you replace them with new torx screws? It says to do so.
Old 09-12-2002, 09:42 AM
MrChad
THE RED 6th GEN Coupe

I just put the old ones back in.

And not as tight.

Caution!! Reuse of the old ones is done at your own risk. I was not able to get them nearly as tight. They are one time tork spec bolts. If you attempt to tighten them up that far again they will likely snap.

If you don't have a torque wrench you can't get them that tight as you don't know the spec with out it.
Old 09-12-2002, 11:51 AM
Dr. Reef

Well, I finally got the steering wheel off, and then I switched it over to the new one. Then when I went to put the new one on, I found out that I had stripped the receptor that your steering wheel nut bolts in to. So, I had no way to hold my new steering wheel on. A little prayer, and repeated gentle tries and the bolt started and threaded in.

So, now everything is put back together, and it looks sweet, is a perfect color match, and better than that, it feels great to the hand. It is softer, has a little better grip because it feels thicker and less cheap, but is not as heavy as the old one.

SWEET!

If anybody would like a TL-S black or beige leather wheel that bolts on perfect to your 6th gen accord, please send me a PM. This is the easiest and one of my favorite upgrades so far on my ride, and I have tons.

Thanks,
Brian

Quick Reply: Honda Accord 98-02: TL-S Steering Wheel Swap