Notices
Detailing Forum Advice on detailing from the experts.

Full exterior detail v.tellmehow

Old 09-21-2010, 09:46 AM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Full exterior detail v.tellmehow

I know this topic has been covered many times, but the information seems kinda haphazard and unorganized. Plus, it can't hurt to have more threads in the basement.

So I've had the SAABaru since February and I've only been washing it. I haven't had time to wax or anything else. The paint is not in great shape. There are a fair amount of nicks and scratches, but no real chips. There is also a small spot on the c-pillar that appears to be missing some clear coat. I've seen some really beat-up looking subarus in this color (I assume it's the same color as wrx silver) with peeling clear coat, etc, and the cars can't be any older than 8 years old.

So i would like to do a complete exterior detail, doing everything I can to get the paint into the best shape possible and protect it going into the future so my car doesn't end up looking like shit when it's ten years old.

What is the step-by-step proceedure that HAN detailing crew would follow (rick)?

I am OK with spending some money on tools/supplies since I will probably do the same process to the lady's TSX as well. Semi-related question: how often do you do a full detail? Or if you're in socal, how often would you do it if you had to drive in slush and gravel about 20 days a year?
Old 10-02-2010, 03:27 PM
lopez205tx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

parts list:
-veritable buffer
-white vinegar
-micro fiber clothes more the one
-black buffer pad i use the finishing pad
-wax
-polish
-rubbing compound, i use ultimate compound
-dish soap
-clay bar kit

this is how i detail my car:
1) wash my car with dish soap
2) dry my car with a micro fiber cloth
3) Clay my car so i can get rid of or small particles that can damage my clear coat ( if your car has a lot of water spots i recommend to use 3 white vinegar to 1 part water, don't worry this will not damage your clear coat i have done this to my 09 tsx.) vinegar will also clean your chrome
4) dry car
5)get rid of any small scratches by using compound and variable speed buffer don't forget to prime your pad or you will be dry buffing. How to prime a pad: apply the substance in the pad and message it in the pad. set speed to 3 or 4
6)wipe the car with a clean micro fiber cloth
7)polish your car and make sure the pad is clean and prime the buffing pad. set speed to 1.5 and no more than 2
- when finish wipe the car down
8) wax your car, you can do this manually or if you wanna use your buffer set the speed to 1
clean the car with a clean micro fiber cloth

Last edited by lopez205tx; 10-02-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: dunno