Notices

89 civic si starts sometimes

Old 05-22-2011, 03:41 PM
soloef8ef9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 civic si starts sometimes

Greetings,

I have a 89 civic si with a B16a, but I don't drive it as much as I want because I have been having a problem with the car. I drive the veh for a couple of minutes and park it. When I come back to it the car won't start. It will act like it wants to start but won't turn over and back fires some of the times. I thought it may be my fuel pump but I am not sure. It seems like after the car gets warmed up it goes into limp mode and won't start. The car also will hesitate sometimes until i push on the gas and it will cathch up.

Has anyone had this type of problem or can point me in the right direction. I also have a fuel pressure guage, which reads 38-40 and I put a new main relay in last year. I have been away from the honda scene for a couple of years and I'm glad im back. PLEASE HELP

Last edited by soloef8ef9; 05-22-2011 at 05:41 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 05-25-2011, 12:32 AM
ChrisS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any codes? (check engine light on?)
What do the spark plugs look like? (clean, fouled, burnt?)

Simple stuff to do:
-clean all grounds (battery, car body, tranny, valve cover, thermostat housing); inspect ground wires, replace if they look bad.
-regap or replace spark plugs (check gap on new plugs also)
-check timing (maybe, set cylinder #1 to TDC and check the witness marks on main pulley and cam shafts are in their correct locations also.)
-look at wiring to the fuel injector resistor pack