Notices

1990 CRX Break Lights Not Working

Old 03-21-2009, 04:01 PM
FS724

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 CRX Break Lights Not Working

Hello, everyone.

This is my first posting on here, so please bare with me...

My husband has a Honda CRX he's picked up for a few hundy and it turned out to be a POC! He's done all the body work it needs and major things replaced. We are now in the process of FINISHING it, but we noticed that the BREAK LIGHTS do not work. We've checked the fuse (there was so much crap down there --- like bundles of wires from an alarm and radio system former owner installed himself) and that seemed to be all right. He tested the switch and it worked all right. I'm getting ready to clean the contacts --- where the bulb attaches to --- to see if the problem is on that. Then we found fuses on the front fender by the battery and it is marked with "Light" --- but we can't tell which lights! Does anyone know? I'd really appreciate your help.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:47 PM
shorty_boy

Default Please clarify

When you said he tested the switch, which switch are you referring to?

Are you talking about the break switch located under the dash connected to the break pedal?

Another question, when you turn on the running lights, do the tail lights turn on?

The under the hood fuse cluster should be labeled with which fuses go to what. I'm at work right now, but I'll try to find this out for you since no one else responded.

Also, I recommend that you guys get a multimeter so that you can verify that the previous owner didn't botch some of the wires.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
PacificDude
Sharkbait OOHAHA!

Here are a thoughts to start troubleshooting...

As mentioned above, the brake switch is a likely suspect. It is really hard to get out; not much room to work with. I recommend testing a new brake light switch before you install it. The brake lights should be off when the button on the switch is pressed in, and the lights should lite up when you let pressure off the button.

Just curious, do the brake lights stay ON, or just not work at all?

I had a problem with mine a while back. The brake lights stayed ON and drained my battery when parked. The brake light switch presses against a little plastic piece on the pedal. Mine broke off the pedal somehow (probably age), which made the lights stay ON.

So if it's not the brake light switch...

Does the horn work? The brake lights and the horn use the same fuse, so if the horn works there is probably a wiring problem with the tail lights. Hope these ideas help find the problem.