Notices

zc engine picked up and starting the build

Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 PM
941crx
junkyard junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zc engine picked up and starting the build

Ok, due to the fact that I'm rather sick of a d15b2 and the fact that the head ended up being warped from the way it acts (and this is said after changing the head gasket driving it 30 miles and having a smoke cloud that covered everywhere I went in that 30 miles) it was time to just say screw it since there were other issues with that engine anyways.

Spent the last month or so looking at engines online and around the area came across a zc engine that was being put back together and the guy ended up having one project too many for his g/f to deal with.

So he sold his civic but not the engine

Had the pistons and rod connectors put in but thats it. Crank is out and oil pan not on, head is off, you get the idea but for the price of 50 bucks couldn't say no. He still had the order forms that came back with the head after getting it worked on at a machine shop still wired around part of it, only thing it didn't have was a valve cover..still didn't seem bad so it came home with me. Figured if anything a zc would drop into an 89 rex a hella lot easier then a b series and I'm not trying to go and start racing just wanted something reliable that would be worth having without killin the already thined wallet. I read a lot of info about whats needed for a zc to go into a crx and it's always conflicting with each other, and I'm not looking to start anything like a flame war with people getting pissed at each other for different info. A lot of sites that sell engines such as this one: http://www.jspecauto.com/page.aspx?page_id=17#1 state that it can just be dropped in and can go, I already know I have a few changes off the bat with that car having dpfi and the zc engine coming with mpfi but god knows what ecu it has I haven't checked quite yet and the last owner of the crx had an integra engine in it and dropped the crappy d15 back in the day before I bought it so I wouldn't count on it being stock hell the trans is now a 4 speed standard. I know I need gaskets seals etc, but any idea of what kind of part list I'm looking at? Will my old distributor still work or how about the starter, things like that. Once I get all that worked out I think I'll start posting pics once I rip that old engine out and ignite it in a field. Needs new front fenders the rest of the cars body work is done due to the wreck the previous owner got into which is how I got it for dirt cheap anyways.

EDIT: almost forgot, it's dohc so if I got the right info, non vtec right? Don't really care if it is or not just need to know to get it running.

Last edited by 941crx; 02-19-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: forgot something about which kind of head
Old 02-20-2009, 06:30 AM
jlicrx

is it a true JDM DOHC ZC or is it a D16A1? - D16A1 won't bolt into your car - there are no DOHC D16 engines that are VTEC - DOHC ZC distributor is the same as the 88-89 Integra D16A1 - Cylinder Sensor on the end of the exhaust camshaft is same as 88-89 Integra D16A1 - timing belt is the same as 88 Prelude 2.0 Si - water pump and timing belt tensioner are the same as 88-91 CRX/Civic Si D16A6 - gaskets/seals are the same as 88-89 Integra D16A1 - your old D15B2 starter and alternator will work - all of the mounts are the same as the D15B2 - the D15B2 flywheel, clutch and transmission will work on the ZC
Old 02-21-2009, 03:54 AM
941crx
junkyard junkie

Well it has ZC stamped in the same place as the d15 had its stamp. So no worries about the trans, got it. Just gotta find a valve cover and ecu. The ecu should be a pm7 right? also do any valve covers other than the original zc fit? Thanks for the list so far.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Neubie

i also have the dohc zc in my rex, and well....it's fun.....however i am also at a bit of a loss for gaskets, seal's, an such.......check out d-series.org thay got a section on the forum dedicated to the zc http://www.d-series.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10
from what i've read...any d-series trans shound bolt up......but also from what i've read...your gonna wanna find a si trans
also check out http://www.thezcr.com/forums/
Old 02-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Neubie

also.....to jlicrx.....by no means am i trying to flame, or anything even remotely close to that nature....i have read mixed statements about the zc/d16a1 direct bolt in swap.....from that i've read and researched........there will be headaches with the auto to mani swap fot the trans mount. but that's about it.........and while i'm at it...do you happen to know about a complete rebuild kit........i've heard that the d16 a1 shares many similarities to the dohc zc, but not all the gasket's an seals would work..namely well.valve cover gasket?
Old 02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
941crx
junkyard junkie

Well not sure about a rebuilt kit but would be pretty usefull. I'll be looking into those over the next week or so, right now I gotta worry about a ecu and resistor box as well, got my valve cover though . If I don't find a rebuild kit, I'll jfust list the places to pick up those gaskets and seals, tbelt etc while decent priced. Just to double check, the integra 5speed ecu is the better of the choice for ecu over the crx si ecu right?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Neubie

the thing about the d16a1 ecu is that it has a higher rev limiter, so if you can't find the jdm zc ecu, you'll prolly have to get the d16a1 ecu, it'll prolly be way easier to source and a lot cheaper newayz
i've yet to find a rebuild kit, kinda sucks, if ya find nething, let me know!!!!!
are you sure you got the ZC valve cover, cuz the d16a1 won't work
Old 02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
941crx
junkyard junkie

Yeah I already did a test fit and it matches up perfectly. I had my neighbor sandblast it today too while I was at work, I'm going to clean it up and polish it and a few other things like the c.a.i. while I search for the ecu and resistor box. I'm thinking of doing a wire tuck while I make the adjustments needed for the swap. I found a good source for my fenders, but looking for a driver door skin, any ideas?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Neubie

care to share where your sourcing your fenders from, i'm acually working on my 90 rex. need fenders, an hood. just rebuilt my moon roof, as well as it's motor, and started the wire tuck just this evening......i've been trying to source parts locally but.....no avail
Old 02-24-2009, 08:11 AM
PhillipMG
Banned

can you post a pic?