Notices

cable clutch loosing stiffness

Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 PM
2ltrEGhatch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cable clutch loosing stiffness

clutch, flywheel, cable getting stretched? could be a couple things... flywheel getting worn down, clutch going out.. or maybe cable getting stretched... anyone with this problem before replace cable and fix? just wondering because im dreading the clutch/flywheel install.. thanks any ideas/help much appreciated
Old 12-09-2008, 06:36 PM
TRLMech

The stiffness you feel is attributed to the stiffness of the pressure plate fingers, what do you mean by clutch getting looser? Do you mean more free play in the pedal? Symptoms of a stretched cable are hard to get into gear, car moves forward while clutch is down in gear. Some replacement pressure plates have looser fingers, so it won't be tiresome in stop and go traffic. Racing clutches are harder, so the pedal will feel tighter.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:44 AM
2ltrEGhatch

i checked the clutch cable and it was adjusted all the way out on the tranny side.. is it possible that the clutch cable could be getting stretched over time? it seemed like when i tightened up the clutch cable on the tranny side it would be fine, but still engaged when clutch was most of the way out. im only having trouble when im putting into first and coming out of first.. second to third to fourth seems fine

and second when I replace the clutch and flywheel, should i throw on a new cable with it?

i think i might go get a new cable before i do the clutch n flywheel.. because the clutch seems fine except it doesn't like to go in first.. the pedal goes from having stiffness to having none. but going into second it regains stiffness

could it be the cable? or is it straight clutch problem... either way im fixin it
Old 12-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Fire
wanna run

It happens to the best of us with age buddy
Old 12-23-2008, 02:05 AM
TRLMech

Having stiffness then having none sounds wierd. You probably have a binding clutch cable. I'd replace that first to see if it fixes it. It's also cheaper to do it first. Get a used one they are considerably cheaper. You might also be having a problem with the clutch fork or your throwout bearing is binding against the shaft. Try disconnecting the cable from the transmission and moving the pedal. Is it easy to do or does it bind. If it is easy, then your problem is inside the transaxle. Might be a binding throwout bearing or broken fingers on the pressure plate.