Notices

Spark? Check Fuel? Check Start? No WTF!!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 AM
v8guy
Professor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark? Check Fuel? Check Start? No WTF!!

Ok, here's a good one. My '91 CRX Si won't start. I went away for two and a half weeks and when I came back it wouldn't start. Perhaps it got jealous because I was at General Motors World Headquarters in Detroit?

So far I have checked spark by hooking up a timing light to one of the plug wires. It flashes when I crank so I know I have spark. I can hear the fuel pump kick on when I turn the key and I can smell fuel at the tailpipes. Just to be sure I took out the 12mm drain screw on the fuel line terminal atop the fuel filter and turned the key, resulting in a fountain of gasoline. So I have fuel.

If I crank it for a while it will catch and fire occasionally and it even ran once rather funkily for a short time, missing and sputtering until it died after like 10 seconds.

The main relay is newish. I replaced it with a new OEM part in the summer of '06. That cured the previous intermittant hot no-start problem I had. Since then the car has run flawlessly, until this helping of gaysauce.

I pulled up the carpet to have a look at the computer. When I turn the key on the light flashes red once and thats it. Rapping on it with my knuckles didn't appear to help.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:47 AM
v8guy
Professor

Fixed. Like weeks ago.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:58 PM
TRLMech

What was the problem? Clogged injectors?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:31 AM
cruzalekz

fouled plugs i would say, raw gas at tail means gas was not burned at all so u got spark at the wires but not at hte plugs.