Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   CRX & Pre 92 Civic (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/crx-and-pre-92-civic-8/)
-   -   Uprgades worth buying? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/crx-and-pre-92-civic/203177-uprgades-worth-buying.html)

Magic Carpet 08-31-2005 06:37 AM

id say 3 to 4 grand, getting the motor and also getting it swapped.

Hatchbak89 08-31-2005 07:17 AM

:mad: i didnt know it would cast that much!!!! Could you find one in a junkyard? If you could, would it work?

jlicrx 08-31-2005 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Hatchbak89
:mad: i didnt know it would cast that much!!!! Could you find one in a junkyard? If you could, would it work?

most B18A engines, being close to 15 years old, are worn out, which means they need rebuilt - not cheap - you might find one that someone has already rebuilt - still not cheap - add to that the cost of mounts, shift linkage, axles, exhaust, etc., along with installation cost and you will have quite a bit of money in it

bottlefedrex 08-31-2005 07:38 AM

once in awhile you can find a b18c or something out of an integra in the junkyard, but then the miles are going to be rather high most likely. plus you will probably pay close to the same amount. the best bet is to get one imported. then the engine only has roughly 30,000 miles and it is JDM. if you want to go the cheaper route for instance, i have a 91 crx and i swap my 70hp pice of crap for the 130hp SOHC VTEC del sol si engine. not as fast but still faster.

Hatchbak89 08-31-2005 08:07 AM

I get 42 mpg, will this make me get less mpg? If so how much???

ED9man 08-31-2005 09:22 AM

yeah, a B18C1 would take you down to 27-28 depending on how you drive. If you drove easy you could probably manage 30.

Pete 09-01-2005 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hatchbak89
Well, you guys really help I just wish I knew more about cars so I can give you some Intelligient feedback. All I can say is :eek: WOW you car looks cool. BTW how did you folks learn how to work on cars, dad family friend, or just one of your friends?

Well, it all started after I paid a mechanic $400 to fix my leaky master cylinder. After I did my research and found out how bad I got ripped off, I went out and bought a Haynes Manual for my car and started doing all the standard maintenance and small repairs myself. Sure it takes a little longer and from time to time you may need to ask for help from someone experienced, but it's the only way you will ever learn on your own. Getting your hands dirty in your own motor is cool anyway and knowing that you fixed something or made something better in your car is the biggest payoff in the end. I'd start off small by learning how to change your own oil and other fluids. There's no point in trying to get power out of a car that is not well maintained. Slowly work your way up the levels on complexity like changing the fuel filter, throttle body, exhaust. Than when you feel competent, open the head and work on the cams and such. It will all come naturally my friend :p

Hatchbak89 09-01-2005 05:24 PM

Is there an engine that would get me about 100 hp, and not loose a lot of mp MPG? As the gas spikes this is my main concern. I now understand where the cool air intake goes., But what do I do, just take The big black box(filter??) and rubber pipe all out and replace it with the pipe and filter from the intake system???

Magic Carpet 09-01-2005 05:53 PM

about the intake - yes. as for a motor with 100 hp, a d15b2. youll can prolly find one for cheap. honestly why do you want to go from 70 to 100 hp? what are you gettin out of 100 hp?

90sicivic 09-01-2005 06:08 PM

yes you would be better off going for something a lil more (and spending the lil extra $$ involved.) it is not worth it to spend 300-400 on a motor (d15bsohc vtec) when you can save up and find a great deal on something with more more HP like a dohc vtec b16a ( prolly a good one would run ya about 1200.. do the install yourself work on your car yourself.. there is not point in paying other people to do you biddings... unless you have the money.. all i did to start off was like one of the guys above oil changes.. i started that.. and ended up saving a GRIP of money. Now that i am more into working on my own car.. it has really paid off.. I am just now finishing up my swap (d16z6 sohc vtec) for my SI motor that i blew a rod in... if you would like to check out some of the work that i have done to one of my cars.. check out my link for my accord.. all the mods on that car were hand done by me and my roommate. all we had to do was ask a couple of questions to some more higher experienced people, and they were more than generous to answer our questions. ... so work on your own car. go out and spend some money to get some tools.. jack stands, hydro lift..<-- if your too lazy to pump up :-D and check out some of the stuff on there.. ALSO what you can do.. is go to a junk yard... that lets you pull your own stuff off .. and just fiddle with some stuff there.. ya know what im sayin? those cars are broke down neway.. so might as well spend some time there!

nemore questions that i can help you with just ask.. always here to help!
B