Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   CRX & Pre 92 Civic (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/crx-and-pre-92-civic-8/)
-   -   hello all, im a newb and i was wondering if i could put a h22 in a 89 civic 1.5L? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/crx-and-pre-92-civic/139757-hello-all-im-a-newb-and-i-was-wondering-if-i-could-put-a-h22-in-a-89-civic-1-5l.html)

Mackenzie C 05-15-2004 11:21 AM

hello all, im a newb and i was wondering if i could put a h22 in a 89 civic 1.5L?

can i do that swap? also some newbe questions when does vtec usually kick in? i think thats it.

Mackenzie C.

ED9man 05-15-2004 11:24 AM

how much money do you have?

Mackenzie C 05-15-2004 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ED8man
how much money do you have?

2,500$, is it enough? i just want the motor to be just fast enough i dont want to go to far just intake exhaust and headers on the h22 if it is a possible swap. what would i need for the swap?

brtecson 05-15-2004 01:07 PM

welcome to the forum. for the swap, you would only need one header, so if somebody tries to sell you a h22 and two headers, dont buy it:D

anyways, this swap will take a ton of custom work. i dont think that $2,500 is going to cut it. You may want to consider a b20/18/16 to start out with, and go with a b16 head if you have the funds.

Mackenzie C 05-15-2004 01:21 PM

yeah im willing to do all of the cutsom work. the b20 is weak isnt it out of the cr-v? so the b series are drop in right?i think i could scrounge up more money if i need to.

B16Drag 05-15-2004 09:31 PM

Who told you a B20 is weak? Yes it might not have the most well designed sleeves but it is by far one of the better torque producing honda engines.

B20 is a great platform to start from but will require more work and money than the other B-series engine. But any of the B-series engine will work fine in that car dont get the b20A its from the stupid early generation preludes. B20B and B20Z are the CRV ones--both engines are awesome. It really depends on what you want really. H22 will haul a$$ as well. H22 is a great engine to go with but will require some fabrication work and not as the B series just because its a tad bigger.

Redlinerz 05-15-2004 11:00 PM

Hi welcome to the site! Now if you got 2500 I wouldn't suggest a H22 swap...You nsound like you are really new to the whole import racing world so I wouldn't really suggest it mainly because of that... Do some research and don't just go head first into swaps it will prolly turn out bad. Now as for the h22 swap it will require a whole lot of work... the h22a swap runs about $1950 not including shipping (engine,trans,ecu) and since your car is only 1.5 you got to go through a whole lotta extra bullsh*t... You will need to redo part of your front suspension (since you are going from 4 spd to 5spd and you will need to make some things stronger to handle all the extra weight) then you will need to fabricate your own mounts which really isn't that easy...and you gotta be carefull cuz you dont want some cheap ass mounts that will break!!..Then there is wiring changes and other bullshit...main point I wouldn't suggest it. But that can be partly because I dont like the h22a swap in a 88-91....unless it is for track it is kinda a waste for street. But that is just my 2 cents... Now I would suggest starting out with a b16 or you can do a ls-vtec using a b20 block (which i think would be best for you). And why you say it is weak? You prolly are thinking about a b20 in a crv....well the crv weighs a whole hell a lot more then a crx or hatch....let me give you an idea...a h22 you get 200hp...an b20 is 126hp notincluding the b16 head on it...a b18c (type r) 200hp...and they are a lot easier then the h22..I would say chill out a lil bit and do some research...if you have any questions just pm me i will be glad to help...

A_PHOBIA 05-15-2004 11:23 PM

go with the b16.you can do the whoe damn thing with the money you have.
its a good motor and they are not too pricey,trust me you will win a lot of races with just a stock b16.hell i got a stock b16a in a 91 si..u will beat any stock gsr if you can drive well, the mounts are like $500 buck from www.hasport.com they also sell the header you are looking for.www.ardperformance.com has the b16 you need in a complete swap i think shipping is like 4 or 5 hundred.not to bad shipped 2 your door or 2 a shop.good luck.

WhiteRice 05-16-2004 04:55 AM

Go w/the ZC, you'll love it!!!!

Mackenzie C 05-16-2004 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteRice
Go w/the ZC, you'll love it!!!!

ZC, whats that?