Notices

'99 Acura TL Catalytic Converter

Old 08-06-2008, 10:31 AM
violato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Acura TL Catalytic Converter

My engine check light recently went off, it gave me code P0420 which means my catalytic converter need to be replaced. On the other hand, few months I had problems with my TL where I cannot start my engine, it happens several times in some random times. The problem goes away by itself after about a month. I just wondering if fouled spark plugs might caused that and reduce the efficiency of fuel-air mixtures. Do you think if I replace my spark plugs might fix the problem? I haven't change my spark plugs for at least 50k, maybe more (since I bought the car used 3 years ago).

Also, I call Acura dealer, they wanted to charge me $1373 for the cat (part #18160P8C305) and 1.5 hours ($150) for the labor. I have a local auto shop quoted me $460 including labor. Do you think that's a fair price? how about if I bought the part online (I've seen it goes for around $150 for EASTERN DIRECT FIT CATALYTIC CONVERTER). Do you guys know if that aftermarket cat converter is OBDII compliance?

I just had my emission test this year and it won't due until 2010. Do you think I should wait on replacing the cat converter? at this time of year, it's hard to come up with that much extra money. Thanks in advance for answering my question.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:53 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

It might say it is the cat converter but it might not be. Fouled plugs or lean air/fuel mixture will ruin the cat converter. How many miles are on your TL? Make sure it is not the oxygen sensor, which is usually the culprit.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 AM
violato

ok, after about a week the engine check light is on, today it just went off by itself. On the other hand, my brake lamp light indicator (in red) now sometimes goes on and off by itself (starting yesterday). Really weird... I might try to replace the spark plugs, I have close to 150k miles on my TL. I'm not sure if it's the oxygen sensor but does the oxygen sensor has its own fault code when it's malfunction? Thanks again.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:44 PM
Carbuff

Originally Posted by violato
ok, after about a week the engine check light is on, today it just went off by itself. On the other hand, my brake lamp light indicator (in red) now sometimes goes on and off by itself (starting yesterday). Really weird... I might try to replace the spark plugs, I have close to 150k miles on my TL. I'm not sure if it's the oxygen sensor but does the oxygen sensor has its own fault code when it's malfunction? Thanks again.
the plugs should have been replaced at 110K miles or thereabouts. Be sure they are the OE Iridium type.

The brake telltale, is it the BULB telltale or the brake system warning? If the former, I had some loose bulbs do that (yes they HAVE come loose a couple times in the 10 years I have owned my TL, I never had that on any other car).

If the latter, you could be low on brake fluid because your pads are thin. Check the level of fluid in the master cylinder, if low start shopping for brakes.

Note that if you don't change the brake fluid on a regular basis (Acura recommends every three years regardless of miles) it could be getting gummy on you...
Old 08-24-2008, 01:18 PM
fastfred
99 tl

Default 99 Acura TL Catalytic Converter

Had same problem with my 99tl, problem started when it had 80k but was in warranty for time, called dealer asked if there was a service bulletin, later found out TSB 03-027 was active and state to replaced the cat if you got a P0420, it further said if the vehicle was out of warrranty to apply to the zone for consideration. The acura dealer scewed me around for 2 months and then gave me the 1-800 number, end of relationship with them. Went to my local honda dealer, had a bunch of other 100K work done, had them replace the cat on my dime wrote a letter to Acrua, they eventually paid me for the cat, I paid the labor. It broke down to 865.82 for cat, 10.67 for a gasket, $57 for labor, might want to try a honda dealer.
Old 12-02-2010, 03:32 PM
markyoung
Banned

Originally Posted by violato
My engine check light recently went off, it gave me code P0420 which means my catalytic converter need to be replaced. On the other hand, few months I had problems with my TL where I cannot start my engine, it happens several times in some random times. The problem goes away by itself after about a month. I just wondering if fouled spark plugs might caused that and reduce the efficiency of fuel-air mixtures. Do you think if I replace my spark plugs might fix the problem? I haven't change my spark plugs for at least 50k, maybe more (since I bought the car used 3 years ago).

Also, I call Acura dealer, they wanted to charge me $1373 for the cat (part #18160P8C305) and 1.5 hours ($150) for the labor. I have a local auto shop quoted me $460 including labor. Do you think that's a fair price? how about if I bought the part online (I've seen it goes for around $150 for EASTERN DIRECT FIT CATALYTIC CONVERTER). Do you guys know if that aftermarket cat converter is OBDII compliance?

I just had my emission test this year and it won't due until 2010. Do you think I should wait on replacing the cat converter? at this time of year, it's hard to come up with that much extra money. Thanks in advance for answering my question.
Hello there, is there any update on for this one? Have you already resolved the problem for your catalytic converter? My cousin is also asking if the cat converter for aftermarket is OBDII compliance. Please advice.

Last edited by markyoung; 12-02-2010 at 08:55 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:18 PM
nunu125

Great !