Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   CL, TL, TLX & Vigor (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/cl-tl-tlx-and-vigor-15/)
-   -   TL-S = Stiff Ride (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/cl-tl-tlx-and-vigor/34610-tl-s-stiff-ride.html)

Trambitis 11-18-2002 05:38 AM

TL-S = Stiff Ride

Just purchased an '03 TL-S and find the ride a bit stiffer than I prefer. Is it feasible to mount 16" rims with "regular" i.e., non-low profile tires on it to achieve a softer ride?

Thanks,
Trambitis

Mr Hyde 11-18-2002 06:07 AM

Sure you can fit the TL-P 16 inch rims on there without much difficulty.
One question though, didnt you test drive the car before buying it?? If you did and it seems stiffer now, check the tire pressure all around. Maybe the dealer forgot to lower them from the high pressures they inflate the tires to while the cars are being shipped to prevent flatspotting.

v6master 11-18-2002 09:02 AM

This is a first, someone with a TL-S actually wanting to get smaller than stock wheels! Just kidding, but do you really think it is that harsh? I agree with Mr. Hyde, check your tire pressures, cause the TL-S doesn't have that stiff of a ride stock, at least I don't think so.

ur31337 11-18-2002 12:27 PM

I'd also suggest tire pressure. I accidentally had too much pressure in my fronts before, my ride was terrible.

Mr Hyde 11-18-2002 01:20 PM

Originally posted by v6master
This is a first, someone with a TL-S actually wanting to get smaller than stock wheels!
LOL, you are right, mine are swapped with 19's and 235-35-19's for the summer. Dropped with Comptech Springs before (now that was a stiff ride!!!), but now with Tein Coilovers it is much better.

Trambitis if you do switch to 16's, the stock 17s still get a good amount of $$$ when sold. At least 7-800 with tires. Mine stay with me though for the snowy winters.

AcuraTL 11-18-2002 03:39 PM

If you think the TL-S is too stiff, changing the wheels/tires to 16s isn't going to help THAT much.

v6master 11-23-2002 02:23 PM

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
LOL, you are right, mine are swapped with 19's and 235-35-19's for the summer. Dropped with Comptech Springs before (now that was a stiff ride!!!), but now with Tein Coilovers it is much better.

Trambitis if you do switch to 16's, the stock 17s still get a good amount of $$$ when sold. At least 7-800 with tires. Mine stay with me though for the snowy winters.

Haha, yeah, I know all about your ride, I'm accordv6 over on atl.com Your car looks really great, definately one of the nicest Tl's I've seen.

juniorbean 12-10-2002 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Mr Hyde
Sure you can fit the TL-P 16 inch rims on there without much difficulty.
One question though, didnt you test drive the car before buying it?? If you did and it seems stiffer now, check the tire pressure all around. Maybe the dealer forgot to lower them from the high pressures they inflate the tires to while the cars are being shipped to prevent flatspotting.

:werd: My pressures were kind of high when I picked up the car... you should check that.

As for putting the 16" rims on... it's really not going to make that much of a difference. You should have drove the TL-S and the TL-P and made the decision then. The suspension is different on both models... it's not just a tire thing.

BonzoAPD 12-10-2002 10:21 AM

yeah sounds like teh tire pressure. The ride of the TL Type-S is anything but harsh.