Notices

timing belt maintenance

Old 06-23-2008, 06:48 AM
lindakh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt maintenance

The service manager at the dealer I use is recommending a preventative timing belt replacement. Has hanyone had experience with a timing belt failing on a 2001 tl? It's an expensive item. I've always driven my cars for at least 10 years and have never had this belt fail before. Is it necessary or are they just trying to make me spend more?
Old 06-23-2008, 03:48 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

I believe the recommended replacement period is 100K miles, how many miles do you have?
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Lawrence Coppar

You'll spend a lot more replacing bent valves if the thing breaks or if the teeth grind off (bent valves) as is usually the case. This is a pervading worry among vehicle owners. Do you feel lucky? Do you have good or bad karma? I have a Porsche that I do a lot of track days with. I change that belt yearly but it is cheap and somewhat easy to do. My 328 gets its belts changed every 5 years. It is difficult to do. Car gets less than 1K put on it each year but the price of a head job is astronomical. Belts are $35 each for it. Cheap insurance.

Guess it's a matter of whether you can sleep at night or not. Kind of like holding financial stocks these days....

One last worry for you. Belt systems generally have idlers or tensioners that have bearings. The bearings can go bad, locking up and destroying the belt. The more you know about the things, the more you worry. A belt change would include bearing inspection or replacement. The tensioners are permanently lubricated and do not rely on engine oil.

Your decision.....
Old 06-25-2008, 07:00 AM
lindakh

I have 101000 miles
Old 06-25-2008, 03:53 PM
AcuraTL
Lord Vader Moderator

You should definitely get it done.
Comptech Icebox, Headers, Exhaust, Lowering Springs and Sway Bars. Mugen front grille. Inspire tailamps. MOMO Sport 18 X 7.5 +42 offset. Axxis Metal Master front/rear pad. 2 Polk/MOMO 10" subs, Orion Xtreme 500.4 amplifier and Alpine CD changer.